For the entrepreneur at Christmas...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BravesFan, Dec 11, 2003.

1. BravesFan

BravesFan LawnSite Member

How about door to door Christmas Tree deliveries?? Get yourself a couple tractor loads of trees and go door to door with em. They probably cost $10-$15 wholesale...mark up from there. Just paid $60 for mine at the tree lot on the corner.

Get setup on a flatbed... create some rigging to hold up 20+ trees per load....or more than that if you're just strapping em down. Pass out business cards and grow your business each year.

No expensive lots to rent. I think you could make some great pocket money for the holidays. You also help out the millions of people who want a real tree, but don't have a truck to get it home....and car is too nice to have the tree thrown up on the roof. wreaths, lights, ornaments, etc. wholesale and sell those too.

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Seems like a lot of work, no gaurantee. By the way, how is it that a norfolk pine costs less in fl than in va? Im not sure if they are used for christmas trees, just that is real expensive for a tree.
  3. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Tried the christmas tree sales idea several years ago. At the time we also had a retail nursery. We sent out notices to all of our customers, retail, landscape and lawn maintenance customers, everyone seemed to want a different size or type of tree than we had and we carried 5 different types. Bottom line - not worth the hassle.:(
  4. BravesFan

What in life is guaranteed?

I'd rather make $30+ in a few minutes dropping off a tree than making hourly $$ installing and taking down christmas lights(as discussed in other threads).

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I like the Idea!!!!!!
    Its new, I never heard of anyone else offering this service,, Run with it. Mr. gates started with an idea too! I might try it around here with your permission of course!

6. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I doubt it will work. Besides landscaping I own a small Christmas tree farm in Western NC. The thing about Christmas trees is that people like going to the lot or field and picking one out. Choose and cut is immensely popular for this reason. IMO they are not gonna buy one off a truck. Plus how are you going to carry them? Bailed or loose? If loose you will not get many on a truck and you will break them in transport. If bailed then the customer cannot see what they are getting.
  7. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I can buy trees from local farm for $7 small add in newspaper in city $10 so I buy 20 trees drive to city and even if I only sell 4 at $40 I made my money back. Then contact paper and ask if any poor people would like free trees and not the night before Christmas but a week before. Great publicity and then I get a tax write off on top of that!!! How you gonna loose and even if the plan does not work You still have the tax write off and you're only out $150, But on the other hand what if you get 1-2 hundred people that want trees?$$$$$$$$$ I still think its a great Idea
  9. BravesFan

Hey Dirt,

When I was buying my tree, they had a drawing box for $50. You filled out your address on an envelope sticker. They would put the stickers on postcards and mail them to you next December.

There were literally over 1000 cards in that box...and we still have a couple weeks till Christmas. Those people are making a killing. The place was packed with people standing in the cold....throwing those trees on top of their new Honda and Toyota sedans...whatever they were driving.

They also had tons of people buying tree stands and wreaths.

10. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi BravesFan,

Great idea. Let us know how it works out if you do it.