1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

    Dismiss Notice

for the florida guys....

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by YardPro, Jan 24, 2006.

  1. YardPro

    YardPro LawnSite Gold Member
    Posts: 3,563

    have a question for you guys in the florida area...

    just hired a guy from jacksonville and he says he worked as a project manager for a large landscape company with offices all over florida ( they supposedly compete with brickman.. etc..)

    he is trying to tell me that " in florida" everybody uses "flex pipe" not swing or funny pipe...

    he says that it uses regular pvc fittings and is black...

    i assume he means flexable pvc...

    anyone there hear of this meathod of connecting heads.
  2. Dirty Water

    Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 6,799


    Sorta like this stuff?

    I've seen a flex pipe that you can glue...Why you would glue a swing joint makes no sense to me.

    Sounds like you hired a real hotshot.
  3. Dirty Water

    Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 6,799

  4. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 5,496

    Roll-out PVC has been around for a long time. I have two schools that have QCV systems on the stuff. Fortunately all NPS/IPS fittings match up to it.

    Now... When I worked for Oregon parks many years ago a day use area on Hwy 97 had to be totally redone after about 15 years because roll out PVC was cracking all over the place. I think it was more that it wasn't deep enough for winter weather rather than the material itself.
  5. Dirty Water

    Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 6,799

    besides being able to glue to it and having the same O/D as rigid PVC, whats the difference between poly and it?
  6. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 5,496

    Seems to be wall thickness (and of course the actual material). Not as thin as poly and not as thick as CL 200. We use LOTS of primer/glue when glueing fittings because it seems that the glue sets up REAL fast and you'd better be quick pushing the fitting on.
  7. Dirty Water

    Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 6,799

    I dunno about you, but up here a lot of real thick poly is used for constant pressure lines to houses.

    i think its rated at like 250 psi or so, 1/4" walls.
  8. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 5,496

    Then it's only the material they're made of that is the difference and how fittings might be attached. I don't know about your thick walled poly and whether it is glued or how they attach it. I just know that the roll-out PVC is compatible with everything else we can do with PVC.
  9. bicmudpuppy

    bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,781

    They called it "agri-flex" and it came in 1/2 and 3/4. I could buy it in 10' "sticks" or by the roll. You must use a flexible glue which means grey or wet/dry "blue" glue remains soft enough. I have been told the reason I do not see it here in KS like it was so common in TX is that it doesn't freeze/thaw well. This product is much heavier than poly. I recall it being heavier than blue stripe swing pipe. Much heavier that Toro "funny" pipe. Never had any problems with it on those DFW metro systems. If done correctly, it is a much better connection than a swing pipe fitting. I have seen the pipe burst on a system with a well that went awry. Best guess was near 200psi when it blew. The pipe swelled and split, the glue joints held.
  10. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 5,496

    Which one are you referring to? Poly or PVC?

Share This Page