For the guys running multi crews only!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, May 5, 2003.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been pondering this for quite a while. I know men can wreck some equipment FAST!!!! so wouldnt it be a great idea to tell all employes and all new employees that to which ever crew has the cleanest and best working equipment and trucks at the end of each mowing season that they (the crew) will get lets say a paid 4 day holliday you gotta figure that they will fight to always keep equipment clean and in good condition. How does it help you? Well in the money you save in repairs you can use that to pay them for a 4 day holliday break....and besides your equipment will look good on your customers property at all times. If you dont actually save any extra $$ by giving them a payed vacation atleast you gain a record for having a neat settup at all time and the men will gain respect for you and your equipment. Is this a decent idea?

2. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

That wouldn't work because they wouldn't care about the end of the year, most employees only care about their next paycheck not the last paycheck. I bring in all my guys on rain days for 4 hours so that they can clean all the mowers and help with the maintenance, they are happy to do it because they get some extra hours and I get to inspect all the equipment before I take them to lunch.

3. tlcgrounds

tlcgrounds LawnSite Member

It sounds like a great idea up front. But don't you think that rewarding employees for a task that should be there number one resposibility is a bit ironic. I'm not saying I've got the cleanest mowers around but my guys understand that grease and oil are much more important that flashy paint jobs. Pitting crews against one another isn't the best idea. Not every machine is in the exact same condition and the types of mowing conditions they perform in has a drastic effect on what parts of machines wear out faster. I believe you care about your guys and want to reward them for hard work. Your on the right track!!

4. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a great idea but for my crews the key is short term rewards. At the end of each week I do a check of everything. All of the equipment is checked and the trucks are looked over INSIDE and out (inside is key....full of food and dink cups until we started this program). Which ever crew gets the highest rating gets a paid lunch at a nice resturant and a 10.00 gift card to some big store (blockbuster video, best buy, ect.) This has worked great and ive noticed a huge inprovement. In fact they are so close most of the time its too hard to pick one.
    -Nick