for the guys that grow fast and hire employees, how do you stay under control?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by georgialawn88, Mar 30, 2013.

1. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im growing and growing fairly quick to have just started out. I also own a pressure washing company that has been around for 8 years. But in the weed control and fert company im growing. Theres a lot more customers in that obviously you dont make as much per visit and so you gotta get on it to make money. How do you guys keep your head attached and sleep at night while growing fast? is everyone as stressed as me or do you just take it one day at a time and not let anything bother you? just wondering how yall do it. I can see once your grown established and have a ruitine its better but in the growing stage how do/did you do it?

2. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

welcome to the party.

3. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

:drinkup: ;)

How many employees do you have? The stress really depends on the employee(s). If you have employees that don't need babysitting, or better yet can babysit for you it will make your life easier. Work on your systems to streamline expectations/guidelines for employees to meet/follow. A good employee will make you wonder why you stayed solo, and a bad employee will make you :dizzy:

4. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

5. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

creativelawncaresolutions, good thread thanks for posting

6. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

I just reread the entire thread today. I have no idea why it's not stickied. It's the best thread on lawnsite hands down.

7. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

When some one says that there is not a lot of money it can mean costs are to high. Selling the work to low priced. Both.

8. ringahding

ringahding LawnSite Senior Member

1. Grow slow
    2. Buy smart (Not cuz you think you need it, but rather because YOU DO)
    3. Do not hire anyone until you hear the bells ringing in your head
    4. Service your direct area
    5. Do not take on more than you can chew

9. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Subscribed.....exactly what Ringahding said above. I struggle with controlling growth as well.