1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

? for the guys with trailers larger than 16 to 18' that haul multiple mowers

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Jason Rose, Feb 20, 2010.

1. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

thts why i ordered my my 18ft enclosed with 5200lb axles

2. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I know 3 people that have gone across the State line into KY from In and Ohio and both got wacked for not being legal DOT. I think the law is the same almost everywhere now.

3. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I Won't buy a trailer with anything less than 5,200lb axles. thats why my 18'er is a car hauler with 5,200lb axles...just last month I went to pick up a car in Maine and Not one problem, over 2K miles.

4. scotlykins

scotlykins LawnSite Member

I may put large diameter axles on my next trailers. I run a 16 and 20 ft trailers on 3500lb axles. with three mowers on the 20 ft trailer; two on the 16 ft. I generally replace an axle a year on my 20 ft. If one of the wheels hits anything the axle will bend. But I have replaced the axles on the 16 ft, but it takes more of a whack.

5. hitechlm

hitechlm LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 24' enclosed with 5k axles and we load that trailer down with 2 ztr's and 2 wb's

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Good to hear all the folks with the heavier axles. Sounds like it's a no brainer for me.

It's just sad that they will stop you and find you are overweight (fine) with 3500K axles, but with the same load and not overwieght with 5200 or 6000K axles you will incurr an even larger fine for not having a CDL (if you are pulling with a vehicle that puts your total GVWR over 26,001.)

My problem with being "over" my GVWR with the larger axles is really a non issue simply because of the gvwr of my chevy 3500HD is 20K aready. Even with my current trailer at 7K gvwr I'm over... Of course they won't be changing the laws to be more "common sence" because it's a huge revenue generator for the states. And say if the made it legal to tow any trailer with the max of a 1 ton truck with no CDL you KNOW that there would be haulers everywhere dropping back to a 1 ton and overloading the hell out of it to stay away from the CDL nstead of using a larger truck.

7. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Jason, in the state of KS you have up to 26,000 LBs of GVWR for a vehicle or if you towing the same amount (26,000) of the combined truck and trailer before you need a CDL.

Are you sure adding a bigger trailer would exceed that?

8. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave LawnSite Member

I could be wrong but every 3500HD I have ever seen had a GVWR of 15K. You could run a 10K trailer and be fine. I know that is why you see a lot of
    F450's running around here because a 550 puts most combos in CDL range.

9. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

Your right DD. I have never heard of a 3500HD at 20K. We have 4 20ft landscape trailers. 3 at 7K and 1 at 10k. I am having another trailer made for the 10K. The 7k do end up breaking springs and bearings.I will always buy with 5K axles now. I have either GMC3500's or GMC 4500 cabover pulling these trailers. Do the math.

3500(12,000lbs) + 20ft Trailer(10,000) = 22,000
    4500(15,000lbs) + 20ft Trailer(10,000) = 24,000

Both combos under CDL and Legal (26,000)

It's a no brainer for sure, get the stronger axles:hammerhead:

10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Correct, mine is 15,000, but I tagged it at 20K because that's what the previous owner had it tagged at.

Now, depending on who you ask you get different answers. The DOT compliance enforcement guy said that they go by what the vehicle is tagged at, so mine would be 20K. But the next person says it's the number on the door jam that the DOT goes by???

His example of WRONG was if you put your GVWR of your vehicle (a half ton used in the example) on the side of your door as "6950 GVRW". He said that's incorrect and that it should be 12,000 because that's what your license plate says. Going by that I should have mine listed as 20K, but that's without the trailer....

Why in the hell can't someone just say "THIS IS HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE DONE"!?!? Digging through the DOT websites you can't find much more than miles of "legal-eze" and then everyone you talk to has a different answer...

Is the weight on your TAG supposed to be the same as the trucks GVWR or the total of both truck and trailer you normally pull?

as you can tell, I'm not following the "rules". Like 95% of the other LCOs around here I don't have DOT numbers. However I'd still rather be as "legal" as I can be so if something does happen I'm not totally boned.