? for the guys with trailers larger than 16 to 18' that haul multiple mowers

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Jason Rose, Feb 20, 2010.

1. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

The DOT does not care what you have , only what you have paid to haul, I.E registration fees.

2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

This is as simple as it gets with the DOT.

If your truck and truck/trailer weight is over 10,001 GVW and you use them commercially then you need to be DOT registered.

As far as the 26K goes that is for a CDL.

3. IN2MOWN

I know...

Thats good for us but the DOT does not care what your personal preference is or what was available on the lot.

They care about the law and what the law says.

4. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

Yes, I know. I have had my DOT #'s for over 20yrs now. Last year I had to get new #'s because of my company name change. That is why I had the audit. Believe me, there is a lot more BS paperwork now than ever.
    I mentioned the 26K because, if have a truck over that, they have you go through alot more BS. It's ridiculous:dizzy:

5. IN2MOWN

20 years? Wow.

I didnt even know up until 2 years that lawn companies needed to be DOT registered and Ive been doing this for 15 and 10 for myself. Nobody really cared or even knew until they started to crack down.

6. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

Actually on Kansas you need a cdl for any combination(truck and tralier) weight over 10,000lbs, and cdl for a straight truck over 26,000 lbs. And I believe it is the same in most states.

7. Landscraper1

:realmad:Yeah, we didn't know until we got fined 20yrs ago.

8. IN2MOWN

From the DMV:

When do I need a Kansas CDL instead of my regular Kansas Drivers License?
    A Kansas CDL is required if you operate any of the following CMV's . . .
    1. A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.
    2. A vehicle towing a unit with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs.
    3. A vehicle used to . . .(a.) carry 15 or more passengers (excluding the driver), or (b.) carry (15) or less people (including the driver) when carrying children to or from school and home regularly for compensation.
    4. A vehicle carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding.

I think you might be misinformed...

9. Landscraper1

Here in Mass you need a CDL for any vehicle or combination over 26k or if your pulling any trailer over 10k. So even if your pulling a trailer with a 12k truck and the trailer is 12k, then you need a CDL.

10. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

I am not mis informed. Been over this a ton with dot. I run semis, dumps and pick ups with trailers, pretty sure i know what i am talking about and have paid tickets because of it. But good luck to you!