Lawn Care Forum banner

? for the guys with trailers larger than 16 to 18' that haul multiple mowers

13K views 71 replies 27 participants last post by  loupiscopolandscaping 
#1 ·
What size are your axles? Tandem only. I'm looking at 20' models and sooo many come standard with 3,500 lb axles. Isn't that silly? A good strong built trailer that size is going to weigh around 3K empty alone, then when you add 3 zero turn mowers, in my case a 61" grasshopper and two Walkers, you are pushing those little axles to the limit. Some trailer places think I'm dumb for waning larger 5,200lb axles and others say it's really smart and something that to many overlook. I just saw another post in the pics forum of a guys brand new 20' enclosed, with 3500lb axles... why???? Just to save a couple hundred bucks up front... and 2 or 3 years down the road when they are tweaked and the brakes have been replaced twice you end up replacing both axles completely. I've been down that road, and not making that mistake again.

But, heres the kicker... The DOT makes it rough on people that want a "proper" trailer to haul their load. Once you get a heavier axled trailer, and pulling it with a 1 ton truck, you are likely over your max GVW and now you need a CDL to drive your damn pickup and lawn trailer on the road. So guys have to buy trailers with undersized axles and max them out to be legal... 7K total weight on a 7K trailer axles is ok legally, but not right mechinacally. 7K on a 10K trailer is smart and safer, but illegal to tow with certian trucks without a CDL. It dosn't pay to be safe?

Thoughts?

See less See more
#3 ·
This is one of those goofy laws where common sense was overlooked, these laws were obviously meant for larger trucks, but they probably didnt realize it would affect people like us, Around here the police and the DOT police do not stop lawn care trucks, they are really only concerned with the semi trucks, but then again, this is KY and Im sure they do stop LCOs in other states. IT is fairly common to see goofy people with tiny little compact trucks trying to haul things they should not, like the guy using an S-10 to haul a 16ft tandem trailer with 4-5 quads on it, or the guy I saw last week that was actually towing a big backhoe on a gooseneck trailer with a 3/4 ton truck!!! I have no clue how he was doing it, but I bet it took him forever to stop that thing, if he could at all?!! I also bet his brakes were smoking on that truck!! They do not even stop guys like this here in KY!! Anything goes here!

#5 ·
Yes, it is stupid. Can't a trailer be registered at a lower gvwr than the axle ratings?
Depends on who you ask. A "compliance enforcement" guy told us at my dealers open house, that the DOT inspectors don't care what the tag on the trailer frame says, that they just count lugnuts.

The people at the trailer place told me that the DOT guys USUALLY don't have a clue and call them all the time asking what weight a "X" lug axle is rated for, lol. and that they uually jsut go by what's stamped on the trailer frame.

#6 ·
Anything goes here too. Funny trailer sighting here. I've seen a roofing company here that must be to cheap to have the shingles delievered to the site like MOST do so they haul their own. They have a trailer that is just as JUNK as you can possibly imigine. rusted pipe frame, really no sort of "structure" to it and 2 ancient trailer house axles, pulled by a VAN. I saw it one day with SIX pallets of shingels on it going down the road. The axles were so bent all 4 wheels were angled out at the bottom several inches past the tops. The whole thing was sway backed and the tounge was almost hitting the pavement and the front of the van was in the sky. But they were on a mission. What's a pallet of shingles, 3K lbs? I think it is... Insanity. But those kinds of people never get cought. It's the people that actually TRY to do things by the book that get stopped and fined for some dumb crap like not putting 2 straps on everything on the trailer to drive it 4 blocks to the next stop.

#7 ·
This is why I'm glad I live in Texas. I pull around a 20' landscape trailer with 5200lb axles and have never had any problems. I would recommend getting the larger axles.

#9 ·
What size are your axles? Tandem only. I'm looking at 20' models and sooo many come standard with 3,500 lb axles. Isn't that silly? A good strong built trailer that size is going to weigh around 3K empty alone, then when you add 3 zero turn mowers, in my case a 61" grasshopper and two Walkers, you are pushing those little axles to the limit. Some trailer places think I'm dumb for waning larger 5,200lb axles and others say it's really smart and something that to many overlook. I just saw another post in the pics forum of a guys brand new 20' enclosed, with 3500lb axles... why???? Just to save a couple hundred bucks up front... and 2 or 3 years down the road when they are tweaked and the brakes have been replaced twice you end up replacing both axles completely. I've been down that road, and not making that mistake again.

But, heres the kicker... The DOT makes it rough on people that want a "proper" trailer to haul their load. Once you get a heavier axled trailer, and pulling it with a 1 ton truck, you are likely over your max GVW and now you need a CDL to drive your damn pickup and lawn trailer on the road. So guys have to buy trailers with undersized axles and max them out to be legal... 7K total weight on a 7K trailer axles is ok legally, but not right mechinacally. 7K on a 10K trailer is smart and safer, but illegal to tow with certian trucks without a CDL. It dosn't pay to be safe?

Thoughts?
Thats all I run on my 20'. I'm carrying about the same weight as you. I have 2 60" Lazers, 1 66" Super Z, and a 21"Honda and stringtrimmers. The difference for me is I live in a town of 20,000 and I rarely have to get into a hurry and drive in bad traffic slamming on brakes, there is no rough driving as long as I'm driving. The trailer works great for me, but I could see why some would want the heavier axles. I bought this trailer used so it had a few dings but I sure like the room.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

#10 ·
Really doesn't make any sense. Just like here in Illinois, most trailers on lots don't have electric brakes or if they do its only on one axle. Illinois law says both axles must have brakes and brake away switch installed and working too. Illinois DOT is going to be cracking down on all commercial companies this year and it includes lawn and landscape guys. They started checking lawn guys here last fall, I know a couple that got busted for overweight. States need money and I bet Illinois will not be the only ones writing tickets.

#13 ·
I Won't buy a trailer with anything less than 5,200lb axles. thats why my 18'er is a car hauler with 5,200lb axles...just last month I went to pick up a car in Maine and Not one problem, over 2K miles.

#14 ·
I may put large diameter axles on my next trailers. I run a 16 and 20 ft trailers on 3500lb axles. with three mowers on the 20 ft trailer; two on the 16 ft. I generally replace an axle a year on my 20 ft. If one of the wheels hits anything the axle will bend. But I have replaced the axles on the 16 ft, but it takes more of a whack.

#16 ·
Good to hear all the folks with the heavier axles. Sounds like it's a no brainer for me.

It's just sad that they will stop you and find you are overweight (fine) with 3500K axles, but with the same load and not overwieght with 5200 or 6000K axles you will incurr an even larger fine for not having a CDL (if you are pulling with a vehicle that puts your total GVWR over 26,001.)

My problem with being "over" my GVWR with the larger axles is really a non issue simply because of the gvwr of my chevy 3500HD is 20K aready. Even with my current trailer at 7K gvwr I'm over... Of course they won't be changing the laws to be more "common sence" because it's a huge revenue generator for the states. And say if the made it legal to tow any trailer with the max of a 1 ton truck with no CDL you KNOW that there would be haulers everywhere dropping back to a 1 ton and overloading the hell out of it to stay away from the CDL nstead of using a larger truck.

#17 ·

Thoughts?
Jason, in the state of KS you have up to 26,000 LBs of GVWR for a vehicle or if you towing the same amount (26,000) of the combined truck and trailer before you need a CDL.

Are you sure adding a bigger trailer would exceed that?

#18 ·
My problem with being "over" my GVWR with the larger axles is really a non issue simply because of the gvwr of my chevy 3500HD is 20K aready.
I could be wrong but every 3500HD I have ever seen had a GVWR of 15K. You could run a 10K trailer and be fine. I know that is why you see a lot of
F450's running around here because a 550 puts most combos in CDL range.

#19 ·
Your right DD. I have never heard of a 3500HD at 20K. We have 4 20ft landscape trailers. 3 at 7K and 1 at 10k. I am having another trailer made for the 10K. The 7k do end up breaking springs and bearings.I will always buy with 5K axles now. I have either GMC3500's or GMC 4500 cabover pulling these trailers. Do the math.

3500(12,000lbs) + 20ft Trailer(10,000) = 22,000
4500(15,000lbs) + 20ft Trailer(10,000) = 24,000

Both combos under CDL and Legal (26,000)

It's a no brainer for sure, get the stronger axles:hammerhead:

#20 ·
Correct, mine is 15,000, but I tagged it at 20K because that's what the previous owner had it tagged at.

Now, depending on who you ask you get different answers. The DOT compliance enforcement guy said that they go by what the vehicle is tagged at, so mine would be 20K. But the next person says it's the number on the door jam that the DOT goes by???

His example of WRONG was if you put your GVWR of your vehicle (a half ton used in the example) on the side of your door as "6950 GVRW". He said that's incorrect and that it should be 12,000 because that's what your license plate says. Going by that I should have mine listed as 20K, but that's without the trailer....

Why in the hell can't someone just say "THIS IS HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE DONE"!?!? Digging through the DOT websites you can't find much more than miles of "legal-eze" and then everyone you talk to has a different answer...

Is the weight on your TAG supposed to be the same as the trucks GVWR or the total of both truck and trailer you normally pull?

as you can tell, I'm not following the "rules". Like 95% of the other LCOs around here I don't have DOT numbers. However I'd still rather be as "legal" as I can be so if something does happen I'm not totally boned.

#21 ·
i have a 22ft trailer, and yes it has 5200 lb axles. technically i should have a cdl to be able to drive it here, but for now we have been "overlooked". it is stupid, as i never ever carry over 6000lbs at a time, never! we argued this point and the local officers let us slide, but that wont go forever i am sure. F them, it needs to be changed to what you will be pulling not what youa re capable of.

#22 ·
i have a 22ft trailer, and yes it has 5200 lb axles. technically i should have a cdl to be able to drive it here, but for now we have been "overlooked". it is stupid, as i never ever carry over 6000lbs at a time, never! we argued this point and the local officers let us slide, but that wont go forever i am sure. F them, it needs to be changed to what you will be pulling not what youa re capable of.
That wont work though.

Whats to say that every day your load is going to be the same amount of weight?

All the DOT will tell you is that if you dont need that big of a trailer and if you arent hauling that much weight then why you do you need that size trailer?

#24 ·
Personal preference or it's what was available...

Grassman; what size of truck are you towing with that the 5200lb axles put you over the 26001 limit?
Thats good for us but the DOT does not care what your personal preference is or what was available on the lot.

They care about the law and what the law says.

I had my run in with them 2 years ago. Got slapped with $1500.00 in fines that I finally got down to $125.00. I wasted 2 months f'ing with them in court. You cant beat them.

#25 · (Edited)
Jason, you go by the tags on the doors. We have been stopped by DOT many times. Normally they just go by whats on you registration but, I have had them look at the door tag a couple of times. And as for the GVW on your truck, that has nothing to do with the trailer. Trailer has it's own registration and plates.
Your right about getting a straight answer from the DOT. It's like banging your head against the wall.:wall

#26 ·
Jason, you go by the tags on the doors. We have been stopped by DOT many times. Normally they just go by whats on you registration but, I have had them look at the door tag a couple of times. And as for the GVW on your truck, that has nothing to do with the trailer. Trailer has it's own registration and plates.
Your right about getting a straight answer from the DOT. It's like banging your head against the wall.:wall
It would be so easy for them to just have a list of what you HAVE TO HAVE to be compliant... But they don't. It's almost like they want people to not know everything so they will always be able to find something in a stop to issue a fine for... Surely it's not a trap :laugh: :dizzy:

Myself, and every other LCO in existance around here wouldn't pass an inspection without fines... I know guys with DOT numbers, and NONE of them strap their mowers on the trailers. I see contractors all the time with tractors and skids on trailers with no chains to secure them... I can just be as cautious as I can and be "compliant" where I can and hope for the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.