? for the Irrigation experts

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by The Slop Nazi, Mar 14, 2006.

1. The Slop Nazi

The Slop Nazi LawnSite Member

I recently had an irrigation system professionally installed at my home (about 4-months ago). Can't wait to use it this Spring & Summer. I have a general question for the professionals on this board: Is it normal for trenches to "cave in" shortly after a new installation (within 2-3 months)? The company that installed our sprinkler system is coming out to repair the trenches, but I wanted some insight as to how often this occurs.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
  2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Some settling may occur. That is the main reason we plow pipe in this area. A few weeks later, you can't tell where the lines are.
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Soulden't occur at all if the trenches were properly backfilled..you might get alittle but ut shouldent re-occur at all after they do it again
  4. Lost Pine

Lost Pine LawnSite Member

Trenches ...?:confused: Ithought everyone used a vibraplow or similar equipment. My yard looked like it had never been touched after a week.
  5. The Slop Nazi

The Slop Nazi LawnSite Member

Yeah, they started in November, which is the beginning of our dormant season (bermudagrass), so the trenches are still noticeable. What I don't want, is to have trenches caving in during growing season (when you can't see the trench), and having someone sprain/break an ankle in the yard.
  6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We trench or plow depending on the soil type and circumstances. When we do trench, we hand tamp everything as we backfill to make sure settling does not happen.

I would run your sprinkler system long and hard and get everything really wet, this will cause the trenches to sink, after they are repaired, they probably won't sink anymore.
  7. ESprinklers

ESprinklers LawnSite Member

The piss poor clay soil we have in this area is terrible about settling after backfilling. Once trenched, the soil dries and basically turns into adobe bricks. Even after re-wetting the soil before backfilling, and trying to compact the soil, it still will settling during the next few weeks. Dirt around here just sucks....
  8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

If trenches are not water jetted or properly packed then settling WILL occur. :nono:
  9. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Settling will occur. It not necessarily the sign of a bad contractor. If I do systems in the early spring (before our irrigation is operational) I usually compact the trenches as best I can and then figure on a return trip (if needed) to refill. It may be a good idea to leave a little extra in the line of the trench so that there is fill for the sinking.
  10. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

With bermudagrass, I typically add sand to the covered trench or divet as a topdressing to level it out.. The bermudagrass will grow right through it and you'll never know what happened once the grass starts to grow..

Just don't place the sand over your irrigation heads.