For the lawn guys.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboykb, Jun 12, 2001.

1. lawnboykb

lawnboykb LawnSite Member

Ok this is a question to all you lawn guys….
    If tomorrow you woke you and someone told you that you could start as a Golf course superintendent, with real good pay, decent benefits and such.
    How many of you would do it?
    How many of you think you could do it?
    Remember your cutting grass at like 1/8 to 5/32's and if you mess up one time that’s the end of your job.
    Another thing that 10-10-10 fertilizer that I hear all the time would never do.
    And you have to be able to work on reel mowers.
    But I think one of the hardest parts is being able to identify all the diseases before they take hold and knowing what to spray and when.

Any takers?

2. script

script LawnSite Member

Personally I'm not familiar with golf courses but even if I was I don't know that I could give up working for myself even for the great benefits.

Bobby

3. There is major BS to eat being a golf super. I don't know if I could "cut" that end of the job, but since I have been a working certified pesticide applicator (lawn and landscape) all I need is to
    take the golf course super winter session at cook college at the state
    university of NJ to be quailified plus a year as an assistant.

4. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Not qualified.

Plus they would need to pay me more than the $125,000 I make now:)

5. i am not qualified yet. however once i am done with school i will be. being a superintendant you have to do constant monitoring. if there is even the slightest hint of insects or diseases you have to be on your toes. the same goes for weeds. they pay very well though. 150 a year shouldnt be a problem. if not more. you have an unlimitted budget. if you want a piece of equipment it is yours, if you need a certain chemical it is yours.

6. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

how much are they paying you lawnboykb?I mean,is it REALLY good?!?!I'm sure its hard work,and theres no way IM qualified to do this sort of thing,but if I was,I'd consider it,definitely.

7. mark2

mark2 LawnSite Member

Been there. Done that. Assoc. of Applied Science in Environmental Horticulture with Empohasis in Golf Turf Management. 8 years Golf course experience. Of which, 4 years Assist. Supt. and 2 years Supt. 3 grow-ins. Worked at some of Georgia's best courses. 150k is possible IF your Lucky, IF you Know Somone, IF you can BS, IF..., IF..., IF... I made 40k with a truck and full Golf Course and Club privilidges. The single most worst thing about being Supt. is, usually, dealing with the owner. Think about it. By the way, did you say unlimited budget & buy pesticides whenever? NOT! Talk to supt.s Check out GCSAA on the web.

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

the job sounds boring with hidden monsters that can make your life hard.

9. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Doesn't DiMartino have a golf course that he cares for? My understanding, from reading some of his posts, was that this was just a part of his business. Why not have the best of both worlds? Maybe he could weigh in on this ...

10. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

If you take it, you should take the stress test that Joshua took before you start the job and 6 months later. Sounds like it could be a big stressful situation. But very rewarding too.

jeffyr