1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

? for the left handed guys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daily Lawn/Landscape, May 29, 2011.

1. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

When you are trimming along fence rows, is the head of the trimmer out ahead of you or does it trail behind you some? The reason I ask is, I'm having a hard time with a new guys trimming and I'm trying to figure out why? As a right handed person, I walk backwards with the trimmer trailing and I always get the clean look I want. So far after 3 weeks, this guys work just isn't as clean. And he is not rushing through it either. Any suggestions would be great. Also, how do you teach a lefty to run a back pack blower right handed?:dizzy:

2. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I am left handed and when I trim a fence line, I start at the right side and walk toward the left with the trimmer in front of me. Left hand is on the trigger right hand on the handle. I have never had a problem doing this. It always leaves a clean cut and keeps the clippings in the lawn instead of plastered all over the fence.

As far a the backpack blower, I can even imagine have a problem with that. Its not a hard thing to use your right hand to move the tube. :dizzy:
  3. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Senior Member

I'm also lefthanded and when I trim fence rows I walk left to right with the trimmer head trailing behind me or sometimes straight out from me.
  4. Hinrich4Three

Hinrich4Three LawnSite Member

Anytime I use a trimmer it is easier for me to walk from the left to right with the trimmer head behind me.
  5. Knight511

Knight511 LawnSite Member

Right to left... walking kind of backwards with the head behind me. Trimming while walking true forward has never worked well for me and I have always thought it was because I was left handed and always found myself between the trimmer and the fence (instead of it being me-trimmer-fence).
  6. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

I have line trimmed in both directions because of the site situations. I prefer to line trim to the right of all jobs thus throwing the trimmings into the path of the mowers to pick up or mulch. I though this was the pro way???? Clumping up of grass clippings around fences,etc. looks like a lawn boy does it. Wait a minute.....I am a lawn boy that holds 3 licenses. Oh well, is what it is!
    I am a southpaw.......righties do have to walk backwards to achieve the same cut as a lefty.
  7. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

im left handed and I walk with the trimmer head infront of me, but I can also walk backwards and trim, and I practice trimming right handed at my house in the back yard, where things are quite as neat as the front and I can trim righty but a good amount slower and not nearly as detailed. I can also trim so smooth and flat it will look it was push mowed. but fences are fun especially split rail, I used to have to trim close to 1000ft of split rail fence and I got be pretty quick, like walking 3-4 mph and not missing anything.
  8. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I'm a southpaw as well, I trim for whatever the conditions require left to right or right to left, I can't hold the trigger with my left hand though LOL but I will admit when I went from a handheld to a backpack blower it was akward at first but you get used to it in short order. It would be cool to see a left handed blower though!!!!
  9. Knight511

Knight511 LawnSite Member

This is why most of us lefties appear to walk backwards while trimming... to throw the grass away from the fence (and into our legs since there isn't a shield for THAT side of the trimmer). "Pro way?" I have been trimming this way since I was 11 years old because it is the best way to get a good looking yard. ;) I guess I was pro at 11? :lol:
  10. Northeast Mower

Northeast Mower LawnSite Member

Whichever way your guy decides to use, we can all agree that it's going to take a lot of hours on trimmer for him to be comfortable, there's def. a learning curve.