?? for the mechanics.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jobjonnie, Apr 25, 2006.

1. jobjonnie

jobjonnie LawnSite Member
    from nepa

I have been lurkin arround here for a little while doing a lot of reading. One answer I have not found is why do you guys dislike B&S So much? Specifically, Inteck engines? The answer I keep reading is they are not commercial grade like the kohlers and such. But what makes the difference in a commercial grade? What actually is the difference from the intec from the vanguard vrs a kohler or such??

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Here is the difference between the two;

Features & Benefits
    Intek V-Twin 20, 21, 22

Overhead Valve Design Runs cooler and cleaner - delivering more power, longer engine life and improved fuel economy.
    Dura-Bore Cast Iron Cylinder Sleeve Withstands wear and abuse while providing improved oil control.
    Large PTO Bearing Extends engine life and increases load capacity.
    Full Pressure Lubrication with Spin-on Oil Filter Clean oil is delivered to critical engine components for maximum lubrication and longer engine life.
    High-Capacity Dual-CleanTM Top-Loading Air Cleaner Unique design using an automotive style filter and foam pre-cleaner prevents debris build-up and provides easy access for maintenance.
    90° V-Twin Cylinder Compact design and well-balanced engine for a smoother, quieter ride.
    High Volume Phase-Modulated Cooling Fan Improved design increases air flow for additional cooling, leading to longer engine life and quieter operation.
    Magnetron® Electronic Ignition System Ensures dependable starts with no maintenance required.
    Resin Blower Housing Durable and dent resistant.
    Low Mass, Permanent Mold Piston Minimal vibration for smooth operation.
    Heavy-Duty Upper Bearing Self-lubricating upper bearing is made of steel-backed Teflon coated bronze to withstand load and reduce wear.
    Mechanical Governor Controls the throttle to deliver more power for heavy mowing conditions.

Features & Benefits
    Vanguard's V-Twin 21, 23

Cooler / Cleaner Technology - a Performance Enhancement - is an Available Option Efficiently reduces engine and oil temperatures by 25-30 degrees, while effectively managing airborne debris.
    V-Twin 90° Overhead Valve Design Cooler, cleaner and more efficient operation. More HP output with less displacement, less carbon build-up. Longer valve life and improved fuel economy.
    Commercial Quality Components (Premium Ball Bearing on PTO Side & Steel-Backed Bearing on the Flywheel Side, T6 Heat-Treated Aluminum Alloy Connecting Rod and Piston Ring Package)
    Sound Treatment Package (Laminated Poly-Core Blower Housing Phase-Modulated Flywheel Fin Spacing Acoustically Contoured Crankcase Lo-Tone Muffler)
    Full Lubrication with Spin-on Oil Filter Cleans oil and protects engine components to ensure maximum lubrication and long life.
    Premium Sintered Iron Cylinder Sleeves For improved heat transfer, resulting in lower oil consumption and longer engine life.
    Full Length Replaceable Valve Guides and Seals Extended valve life and lower oil consumption.
    Dual-Clean TM Air Cleaner Pleated paper filter with foam pre-cleaner ensures double protection for long engine life.
    Oil Gard® Low-Oil Level Alert Significantly reduces the chance of engine damage due to insufficient lubrication.
    Buyer Warranty Package Two-year limited warranty.
    Engine Warranty Two-year engine warranty for consumer or commercial use applications.

3. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

i always liked briggs engines. its been awhile since i ran a rental shop, but i ordered briggs I/C engines in most applications. easy to fix, parts readily available, and often times a honda or kawasaki was twice the price. but if you dont take care of an engine, they all will fail prematurely. just my 2 cents...

4. jobjonnie

jobjonnie LawnSite Member
    from nepa

Rob,

No offence but that sounds like something I would read in a broshure.

What is the reality of a briggs compared to a kohler??

5. Restrorob

Sorry, That did come from the Briggs site to show you the difference in the two Briggs engines. I guess I got side tracked on the Briggs Vrs. Kohler.

Where to begin !!!!
    Kohler purchased a steel foundry in 1873 and built farm implements then a few years later started the bath fixture business. In the early 1920's they came out with a Generator then a stand alone engine. So Kohler jumped into the Commercial Industrial business right off the bat because most home owners had less use for a Generator.

Briggs on the other hand started in 1908 and produced a one cylinder engine with one single wheel incorporated to be a attached to the rear of farm equipment, Wagons or even a bicycle. So Briggs was known to the home owners and farmers and not the Commercial Industrial trade.

So this is what people have perceived for many many years. Just the past few years Kohler has came out with the courage engine line (which by the way is built overseas) to try to break into the homeowner field, While Briggs has re-tooled and added all the features of the Commercial quality engines to their Vanguard line to try to break into that field.

Now for the fun part, I stopped counting at 42 Kohler engines I replaced blown head gaskets on, They also had starter problems for a while and got that straightened out but that has put a sour taste in my mouth for Kohler.
    Everyone will see more and more Briggs Vanguard engines on Commercial equipment in the coming years and maybe the Kohler is Better than Briggs perception will change, Who Knows.

This post is only MY opinion and the way I see this situation.

I hope this is somewhat what you were looking for jobjonnie If not ask specific questions and I will do my best to answer them.

6. Restrorob

It's my opinion The Briggs Vanguard is just as good as a Kohler Command, Now let the bashing begin.........

7. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

ive seen sooooo many cases of people who own a kohler/briggs/kawasaki/robin/honda engine, then run it with no air filter, never change the oil, beat the crap out of it, then decide that brand is just no damn good when it breaks. buy the correct engine for the application, take proper care of it, and they'll usually give you good service. i cut my own grass with a kohler thats 37 years old. ive seen briggs engines actually worn out in about 2 months. (cheapo coleman generators, with non-I/C engines that a contractor bought and ran 24/7 for 2 months.)

8. thecrankshaft

thecrankshaft LawnSite Member

Really? I didn't know that. Where did you hear that from?

9. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Rob, isn't it fun having to explain about things you find out in the update classes?

10. Restrorob

Yes it can be fun sometimes, I'm glad to see you have heard the same story because I have nothing in writing to back that factual statement up with.

Kohler contracted with a company overseas to build this engine line because it would not be cost effective to re-tool their plants in the states, And re-tooling would have raised the build cost and the cost to the box store OEM's.
    So by contracting overseas they were able to cut production cost in turn lowering OEM's cost and getting their foot into the homeowner type engine market.

newz, Did I not get that right ?