For the mechanics.......

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Tech man, May 20, 2006.

1. Tech man

Tech man LawnSite Member

My question is, How would you define professional mechanic and what they do? We have a new service manager who came from a BMW dealer ship. In the 6 weeks he has been here I have been written up for leaving oil dry on a hyd puddle overnight, and all we have heard is "work harder, work faster" . The guy is a real d**k.
    He also is trying to implement a "incentive program" based off of SRT times. The pay scale starts at $10 hr up to $20 hr.. Right now I am making a straight up hourly wage in the middle. He is telling me the other day that he was looking at my numbers for last year and he tells me I could have made $6000 more. Now I'm on a fixed income. apt to pay for car and insurance ect. and I don't have to tell ya`ll about the price of gas and such..

So Im looking at the chart he gave me, according to the numbers I was around $20 hr for 3 months, April, Oct. and Nov, the 3 month out of the year we are doing more service and less repair. Around $15 hr for 5 months, May June July August and Sept.. Now here is the kicker. Dec. Jan., and Feb I would have made $10 hr. and the reasoning I got was that it is slow during the winter, and I was working on Showroom set ups and working on demo equipment. I would have made $6000 more, but I would have froze and starved all winter.

So I told him that this was unacceptable. I need the same amount of money every month to pay my bills. His responce was "You`ll just have to budget your money better". When I said that since I would have made $6000 more How about a raise?.... He told me " I cant just give you a raise you have to earn it."

Sorry about the long rant. I am just feeling the stress. What do ya`ll think?
  2. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I thought about replying and saying all of the things that you could do with that $6000, like a down payment on a house or a new car every 3-4 years, or investments. But how do you tell that to a guy who is mad at his employer for giving him a $6000 raise?

I don't mean to be rude, really I don't, but your post simply reveals a high level of financial stupidity.

With the new incentive program, and the right attitude, I would be willing to bet that a guy could increase his yearly income by $10,000 or more. I hope that you will be able to see this opportunity and take advantage of it.

BTW, I have been a mechanic for 5 years - mostly under the incentive program.
  3. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

If he worked at a BMW dealer what the hell is he NOW doing at a mower shop? Sounds to me he fuc*ed up big time and got canned so now he has to make money some how and he thinks he can run the shop your in like a BMW dealer.It doesnt work that way.Need to tell him to pull his head out of his ass and see how a mower shop is run.I had the same thing happen to me a few years back.I took my old bosses **** till i got a call from a friend that need a mechanic.I would get more money and over time At his shop then where i was at. Well my boss started his sh** I told him to fuc*off and good luck finding a gut to do this for 8 a hour.i walked out of that shi*hole of a mower shop and right into a REAL mower shop.
  4. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Red it sounds like your new Foreman needs to justify HIS worth to his boss and yours.
    How long have you worked at this shop, what is the relationship between you and your boss and are any of the other techs. having the same issue? Maybe its time for a little meeting:hammerhead:
    Its all going to come down to what do YOU think your worth and will this new set up make you money or not.
    Let your boss know that if he thinks good help is expensive try hiring bad help!:)
  5. Tech man

Tech man LawnSite Member

Bruce is that you?

Financial stupidity. So when its the middle of Feb. and my daughter needs a new pair of shoes, or my car breaks down, I`ll just say it will have to wait till spring?
    Call me old fashioned, but I dont like to gamble on what my pay check will be. Im glad it works for you. Im sure the guy running your shop has a good head on his shoulders and isnt trying to micro-manage everything down to the last penny.

The way I see it, if I could have made $6000 (which works out to be $2.88 an hour) more last year, why shouldnt i get a substanial raise. Obviously I am producing
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't mean to be rude either but I worked for other people long enough to learn what that 6k means... It's an incentive-based program which COULD lead to a 6 thousand dollar raise but I know the opposite is true because people don't care about nobody but themselves and they will step on you to get further up the ladder while using you as their stepping stool. That is how it is, that is how it has always been and that is how it will always be.

Lets face it, this bmw guy is all about the bottom line so the incentive-based payola scheme is nothing but cutting pay, because what it is supposed to do is give better pay to those who work the smartest but in the real world what happens is when business is slow, the manager makes out because his figures look dandy while everyone else gets paid squat. That's what this is all about, the man has to make his labor percentages look good, so he makes it sound like if you work really hard you will make more money when in reality what it boils down to is your pay is dependent on how busy the place gets. So long it stays busy you will do fine, any other time well I do suggest you learn to bank your money because in my business I earn almost half my yearly gross from Apr-Jun so I have to bank it and that helps...

You don't got to tell me, I got done by them kind enough times, I am so glad to be away from all that.
    It wouldn't be so bad if at least they told the truth and not hold the cheese out a little farther to see how fast the rat will run.
  7. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

as far as i know, all car dealers are flat rate. most guys there can beat flat rate. ive worked in rental stores where guys came in with all sorts of car experience, and couldnt figure out small engines to save their lives. i dont know what this guys problem is, but im sure he made more at the bmw dealer, and i doubt he came to a mower shop because he wanted a change of scenery. i know a bmw mechanic who makes more than 100k a year, beating flat rate on most every job.
  8. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

You ARE getting a substantial raise.

It is not February right now, it is May and things are probably picking up a lot. You have 7 months to save up until you reach December (when you said that things got a little slow.) You simply keep living on the same amount that you have been living on. You take the extra money and put it in a savings account. Then, when December comes, you have enough money plus an extra $6000 saved up.

With a little discipline here, you can come out ahead - way ahead. You said that you were in an apartment. Do this for 2 years and you have a sizeable downpayment on a house.

You may have personal issues with the new manager but the bottom line is that you have the opportunity to make at least $6000 per year more. What if you find ways to work the system and make $10,000 more per year?

This is a good oppurtunity, take advantage of it.
  9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

It's tough for a dealer make any money with a mower service department unless it is operated like an automotive shop. Flat rate is the only way to go and there are many compensation plans based on flat rate or standard rate times.

A mechanic must exceed 70% efficiency to be carrying his weight and he can't do that without good management and organization.