For the mulching guys.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rcslawncare, Apr 28, 2010.

1. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Need to put a chute blocker on my mower, but would it be easier to just buy the mulching kit and keep it on all the time. Can it handle grass that fast and leave a good cut without clippings everywhere. Also, does it help or hurt your stripe? Its about the same price as the blocker, just wondered if it would be any better to just go that route. Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

2. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

The mulch kit slows me down here. If I go to fast it starts missing strands here and there. I don't know about the stripes kinda hard to stripe here. The kit is hard to take off if you need to. The blocker leaves a row of clippings where the discharge chute is so thats a negative too.

3. Trevor8

Trevor8 LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

what type of mower do you have

4. rcslawncare

JD Z925 with the 60" 7 Iron pro deck. I figured the blade blocker would be for going by windows, not full time use, but if the mulching would work, why not keep it one for good...? But it has the 27 HP on it, plenty for side discharging,but didn't know if it would bog it down with the 60" cut.

5. sharpcuts

sharpcuts LawnSite Member
    from NE OK

27 is plenty for the mulching kit. It depends on how much your taking off in a cutting. If its over 2" you wont be impressed with the mulch kit.

6. rcslawncare

I only do properties that get maintained weekly, thus not doing overgrown lots. I didn't think it would be a problem. Just don't wanna spend the money just to take it off. I might give it a try, would be nice not worrying about the discharge into mulch or cars.

7. ramcat

ramcat LawnSite Member

We leave ours on all year....it makes everything look bagged and you don't have to worry about shooting grass everywhere. Stragglers aren't a problem with our Deere Z950 with the mulch kit.....so you should be good, the 7-iron is great for mulching!

8. rcslawncare

And how bout your striping? Enhance them or no difference? Thanks for the info, might be the way to go. Does it clog at all or is it as good as the 7 Iron discharging?

9. sharpcuts

sharpcuts LawnSite Member
    from NE OK

Never noticed any difference in the stripe. You shouldn't have any problems with clogging unless its wet or your cutting weeds.

10. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Another issue is if you drive across driveways etc. it will dump a ton of clippings onto the ground. Not a big deal if you remember but cutting across the sidewalk is a no no.