For the New Guys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jwl5510, Apr 24, 2008.

1. jwl5510

jwl5510 LawnSite Member

Stop Bidding $25.00 per cut you will never be able to pay for your fuel,New mowers, and at that rate you will never be able to pay your taxes or have employees. Someone keeps handing out flyers's in an area that we get $35-$50 per cut for 1/2 acre lots and they need to stop.

2. siklid1066

siklid1066 LawnSite Member

In NY Long Island I have seen flyers by companys,not kids,any lawn (19 bucks)And more than one.Or sign up and get a months maintenance free.

3. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

One in the paper here is charging $15 to $18 dollars a lawn. It sucks but what can you do. I have no control over what anyone else does. Only what I do. You can't fix stupid.

4. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

Ron White said that :p. 25 a cut around here is actually good but then again these are like 1/8 acre lots lol. I'm in orlando and I see people do it for 55 a month which is 13.75 a cut 0.o, definatley not what i do.

5. mlyons1

mlyons1 LawnSite Member

i agree i don"t see how they are doing the yards so cheap.but when it is a 100 degrees and high humidity and their cheap equip starts tearing up they always quit.everybody thinks when they see you on a riding mower they think how easy it looks until they get a weedeater in their hands throught out the day and again with the heat and high humidity they think twice about it and quit.

6. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I paid $400 for advertising and its not working this year....too many guys in my area.

7. karol

karol LawnSite Member
    from ontario

:
    Hey man, I was in Richmond Hill today around Bayview and Weldrick. All $700,000 to $900,000 homes. Some guy had signs on every corner. GRASS CUTTING STARTING AT $19 PER WEEK. What's wrong with these people? :canadaflag:

8. mlyons1

mlyons1 LawnSite Member

hey karol how much is gas per gallon where you live?

9. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

Let me begin by saying i'm not in the lawn care business, but thinking about it.

I have a good friend that will not shop at wal-mart - company ethics, all products made in China, etc. are his reasons. Wal-mart has figured out how to be the low cost supplier in their market. I respect my friend for being loyal and true to his beliefs, but I shop at wal-mart because they have the lowest prices.

If someone has figured out how to cut lawns for $25 or $19, either you have to figure out the same thing or move on to "better customers". I don't think you want the customers who chase price - they are going to get what they pay for and they will probably be happy with it (I have worked in sales for many years).

I have much more to say about this, but I thought I would get some discussion going (or piss off) with the forum folks.

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah. Until you factor in how much of their cheap plastic $hit breaks or never works to begin with, factor in gas and time on returns of the garbage they manufacture with no concern for quality (in their efforts to ensure lowest price), and factor in all the stupid crap you pick up while there that wasn't on your shopping list...

Walmart is the catalyst for so many of your frustrations towards lowballers. The American people, in general, have come to look strictly at pricing. They make the false assumption that all things are equal - and therefore lowest price always makes the most sense...