for the new guys

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DiSantolandscaping, Jul 24, 2011.

1. DiSantolandscaping

DiSantolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

thos of you that think there is a lot of money in landscaping.. theres not. Just say you have one big mulch job to do in the spring. If you have two guys doing the job, it should take abut 24 hours. depending on how fast they work. now figure your paying them 10 an hour, its really costing you 15 or so an hour to cover there insurance, comp, and taxes. then say you pay 25 a yrd for mulch, thats 2500. 2500+720+50 for gas thats 3424 for three days work that its going to cost you. Then you add 15% to the mulch and that gives you 654 dollars profit margin for that job. thats really not a whole lot. plus you have rent, your own insurance, utility payments etc, so you might break even on the job.
  2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

What the heck kind of a worthless post is this?!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. LegendaryLawns

LegendaryLawns LawnSite Member

4. DiSantolandscaping

from Maine

just telling all the new guys that think there gonna make 100 000 a year and have all brand new trucks, and equipment etc.

THIESSENS TLC LawnSite Senior Member

If your good and you know what your doing....then there is loads of money to be made in landscaping. Thats where the money is! I'm not sure whats going on inside your head...
  6. Angelo585

Angelo585 LawnSite Member

EXACTLY!!!! keep overhead to a minimum and productivity high, be competitive but not a lowballer and there is money to be made!
  7. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like someone got under bid today!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. DiSantolandscaping

from Maine

i didnt get underbid i just was saying that there is only like a 15% profit margine on commercial jobs. so if you add up all of your exspenses and stuff unless you have a lot of work lined up yea you can make money but your not going to be rich for say unless you are right out straight. maybe im wrong but thats what i figured out/.
  9. Angelo585

Angelo585 LawnSite Member

Depends on how you are figuring your profit... are you factoring in total overhead including your and employee's payroll, fixed and variable costs? if so then 15% is a descent number. It also depends on your sales volume!

if company A does 40k gross the at 15% profit would be 6K if Company A does 100k gross then at 15% you would be at 15k Keep in mind that that would be left after ALL expenses are met including YOUR salary, employee payroll, insurance, rent, materials... you get the picture.
  10. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you have figured it out, even if you have not yet figured out how to say it.

Landscaping and lawn mowing business is not a get rich quick situation.

If you want to get rich quick be a rockstar.