For the Professionals

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cooksjr537, Sep 27, 2005.

1. cooksjr537

cooksjr537 LawnSite Member

Help a beginner out. I was wonder how would you tell a beginner like me to be successful in the landscaping business. What kinda of equipment to buy, should you buy new stuff or used. Also, is there anything different that you would do if you were going to start a new business up knowing what you know today.

2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't spend all of your money on equipment until you need it. Don't fall into the trap of believing the more equipment you have - the more money you will make.

3. DaveRave07

DaveRave07 LawnSite Member
    from NY

For a better response, let us know what type of work you anticipate doing. In general buying used is not a bad idea, it is where many solid lawn/landscape businesses have started.

4. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Start off with your strength,if it is lawns, work there until you have enough
    confidence to learn about something else.

Nothing wrong with used equipment

As was mentioned provide more details

5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

First and foremost is how much experience/knowledge do you have about basic land and lawn care practices? Lets start there because you need at least some basic experience/knowledge before you buy your first piece of equipment and hang a sign out.
    As coffee craver mentioned above, initially, what services do you plan to offer?? I would not suggest you offer soup to nuts when you first start out.
    Give us a bit more info and we'll help you out

6. cooksjr537

cooksjr537 LawnSite Member

I would like to start off by grading for new homes, seeding, strawing. Then work my way up to landscape design but i don't have alot of plant knowledge. I would love to take on hardscape but would probably need to grow alittle before.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Depends on how many accounts you can get. The service you want to do is not reacurring so its 1 time and your finished with that customer unless you can hook up with builders or developers. In which case you better have dependable equipment. More money in what you want to do then mowing but a lot more up front cost as well. Get your name out to some builders where you can have some steady work and then buy what you need and the best. Until then do some private residentials and rent the equip. till you see how far you can go.

8. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

<i>but i don't have alot of plant knowledge.</i>
    To start,go to all of your local wholesale nurseries and tell them you're wanting to start landscaping.Ask them for brochures.This way you can see which plants you have available locally.Next,study those plants.No need learning about plants you can't obtain or won't do well in your area and it whittles away alot of needless info.