For the Savy Business Minded-Plz Inlighten me!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by shortgrass01, Sep 26, 2006.

1. shortgrass01

shortgrass01 LawnSite Member
    from SC

My new LCO was propositioned today! a member of a delevopment companty offered to pay for my INC. + Bonding and INS. 1million umbrella. and reasonable $$ help to get going... if- if I got into large to mid size commercial landscaping. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I know a sales pitch when i hear it. Red flags went off all over the place. They told me I would start off making mega bucks, near 100k a year to start!!!! Beside this would mean I have to run a crew for one, which I never had any interest in doing. I know enough to know that landscaping is much more work and landscaping is an art.I been around some talented landscapers in my time, I knew that I didnt have what it took for commercial landscaping. commercial landscaping for the experienced people thats been doing it for years! I would have to add personal that knew more than I for this. Am I over reacting? What Am I missing? Guts or knowledge?

shortgrass

2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

ask a few questions?

1. why do they want to do this for you?

2. Given your experience what are you going to be doing for them?

3. Are they going to tell you how much they are going to pay you for a job?

4. What type of landscaping do they have in mind?

My guess is thy want a a landscape company to work for them without the headaches of the over site. If your new to the business they know you are not probably as well verese as an experience one th
    ere for can control you more. Or could just be a nice business owner who wants to give you a shot. Dont allow them to pay for anything for you. Get the insurance etc yourself

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, they would probably front you the money and set you up. Then they will charge you points on the loan, own a % of your business, and take their % in income. then after you pay off the loan with interest, you will have to buy out their portion of the business as well. Something sounds fishy. :rolleyes:

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

We used to be involved with a large developer who had more work than we knew what to do with, it was handed to us as we asked for it.......

Many developers are tired of being ripped off with poor quality and poor performance, that much I can say........

Other than that, ask many, many,many questions before putting all your eggs in one basket.

5. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

when i went to florida to clean up hurricans, i partnered up with a guy that was bank rolling the operation

dad told me " never partner up with someone with more money than you, they know somthing you don't"

i still feel thoses words when i think about loosing all that money