For the SE LCO's

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by naturescaretaker, Jul 25, 2005.

1. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

What is the worst weed you have or are dealing with?
  2. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

I may not be the south ease but I'm south. Earlier this spring I had a real bad problem with henbit. Now its not so much a weed as it is dollar spot. It seems like almost every yard I do has it.
  3. C&KLawnCare

C&KLawnCare LawnSite Member

I got a bank in my yard thats been full of it for years , I tryed to keep it cut down to kill it , It had been sprayed and the stuff just laughed at it , I let one stem grow in a flower pot once , Diesel fuel, Gasoline , heck this crap laughs at it , Round up i swear feeds it , Man id love to take the bank over and make it part of the mowable yard, But once this crap gets started theirs little to do to kill the crap , Japanese Knotweed
  4. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I have the normal weeds, but the weirdest thing that I have ever had to deal with was a fungi that was called "dotter" (Not sure of the spelling). This was a few years ago, but from what I remember it is usually associated with farm lands and fields of hay/straw. Somehow it ended up on a five acre field at one of our St. Mary's Facility (medical and health facility). We were advised by the dept. of ag. to sterilize our mowers after every mowing, as to not spread it to other properties. I can't remember what ever happened to that facility, as my memory is very selective, but I do recall that it was a royal pain in the rear for the season. I will see if I can find something on it and post it.
  5. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

Chamber doubt.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Two different types of stinky little weeds and I can't think of the name of either off the top of my head. I got stuck on the stinky smell they give off when cut.

The other is a grassy weed I have never seen before and I have yet to identify.

This grassy stuff grows near a dog lot. It is white at the base of the stems, dark green, grows in bunches yet is very thick, tops off at about 8" and produces an unreal amount of low seed heads. This is without a doubt the toughest grassy plant to cut I have ever dealt with. It will almost jerk a trimmer out of your hands. Nothing has killed it so far either....
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The henbit and fungus outbreaks were unreal here last year too.
    So were the dandelions.
  8. turftender

turftender LawnSite Member

I can't find anything to get rid off wild voliets
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

For lawns:
    Crabgass / Watergrass (same thing). I use drive on it with a sprayer but man that stuff is outrageous. All the other stuff I can control with a wide-area spray, but nothing controls crabgrass except drive.

For bushes:
    I hate most anything that grows THROUGH the bush.

For open areas:
    *Briars* (and I forgot the name but there is one other prickly weed that is real stubborn as well).

The only other weed that always amazes me but thank god is easy to control is the milkweed, man those things can get HUGE! Still not a real problem, just thought I'd mention it.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Onion grass? We had a TON of it last 2 years but now it's mostly gone.