For the younger guys....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jsbmaine, Dec 23, 2005.

1. jsbmaine

jsbmaine LawnSite Member

I'm thinking that I'd like to get into commercial mowing and landscaping in a bigger way. I have done 6 lawns, and a couple mulching jobs for 2 years in the summers, but never had time for more due to haying. Though I have done pretty well with plowing snow, I really need more income. This year it looks like I'm getting out of the dairy business, and this area is really starting to get devoloped. So, I thought I would try to get in on the ground floor with all the new people moving in.
    For those who started young, or with little experience (not having worked for another landscaper) what advice would you offer? I have a bunch of equipment, though most of it is probably too big for residential landscaping.

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

and reading, here, at the library, investigate what your really getting into, will it be a money generator in your area, is the area oversaturated with lco's, maybe some good business books.....
    classes at community college

lots of help here if you can narrow your questions down....

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

You can't do it all, so pick an area and decide what size of lot you will service.
    Develop you target customer.
    Make a list of the equipment you will need to service that customer.
    Determine what equipment you have and what you need to buy.
    Work all the numbers and see if it floats for you. If so get the stuff and a ream of paper, Make and pass out fliers. Tell everyone what you are doing. Use the 6 lawns you are doing now and build off those.( if they still fit your service plan). Put signs on your truck. Contact your plow customers and see if they need you. Network with everyone you know and everyone they know. Stand up in Church and yell "Hallelujah, I'm cutting grass", OK maybe that a little over the top but you get the picture. Self promotion.

Good luck

By the way how long of a season do you have up there? Factor that in when doing numbers.

Do a search on "COSTS--PRICING--OVERHEAD" to get an idea of what is involved in running this business.

4. daveintoledo

are you plowing, are just snow blowing, if your plowing, you better have insurance today, or stop plowing, are you old enough to drive.

are you maybe using an atv or something???

i know that if you plow with a vehicle, dont know if an atv need it or not, but with a truck you better have the right insurance or bad things will happen...

:)

5. jsbmaine

jsbmaine LawnSite Member

By the way how long of a season do you have up there? Factor that in when doing numbers.

Season for cutting grass runs from about may 1st to mid october, depending on the year. This year we didn't have snow until Thanksgiving week, but there has been snow as early as October 1st and as late as early May, but not usually.

As to plowing, I have a plow truck and two snowblowers. I use whichever is best for the customer. I have commercial insurance for both plowing and the farm.

6. daveintoledo

hope all goes well for you, ,'

we have 27 weeks, give or take

7. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Hey jsb- i have a older bunton, early 90's model w/b, 13hp Honda 48'' for sale.
    Joe

8. jsbmaine

jsbmaine LawnSite Member

I'd be interested in that. How much $, and do you have any pics?
    Where in Mass are you- I'm only about 3 hours from the Mass Pike

9. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I would probly be asking around $500 or so, i have a brand new set of mulching blades and 2 grass catchers, here are some pics.Btw im in Franklin
    Joe

landscape 008.jpg

landscape 002.jpg

10. nephilim0167

nephilim0167 LawnSite Member

Read a lot. Take classes at your local Community College. Get involved at your nearest botanical garden. Never stop learning, though.