1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

For those LCO's with 1-2 employees...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ric3077, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

What little jobs do you give your employees when there is down time...not due to rain or lack of work though...for example, you have a two man crew and all that needs to be done is finish blowing the property off (maybe 5 minutes) what do you have that other guy do? (besides get out another blower) I have him make new trimmer spools (we carry at least 6) so when we run out we have some already wound up and ready to go...but are there any other little jobs you give them? Another I do is make him fill the trimmers and mowers with gas...but looking for other things. This also comes in handy if I have an estimate on the route and don't want to pay him to sit in the truck for 15 minutes while I put together an estimate. Thanks!
  2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

If you have 5 minutes of blowing, get 2 blowers running and cut that 5 minutes in half!
  3. Ric3077

Thanks for the help
  4. Ric3077

The blowing thing was an example...I am also giving estimates etc...during this down time...
  5. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

If this happens all the time, I say bring another truck, and while you are finishing up blowing off the sidewalks, driveways, etc., send them to start weed-eating at the next yard. Two guys standing around for an extra five minutes could add up to an additional yard or two that could be done by the end of the day. It's probably best that you be the last one to leave, for the purpose of looking over the competed job, and who knows, in that five minutes you are finishing up, someone else may come out and ask for an estimate on their yard. I've got two employees and we do this all the time.
  6. Ric3077

It doesn't happen enough to have another truck follow me around all day...just want to maximize every minute of the day though. Also it is not always 5 minutes might be 2 minutes...I just hate having people getting paid to sit and do nothing...they already do that enough in the truck on the way to the next job. The way I see it is if the truck isn't moving everyone needs to be busy.
  7. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

i have them clean out the trailer, clean out the truck, or just stand around for 5 mins. i mean if there really isnt anything for them today, then thats that. just let them hang for 5 mins, theyd probably appreciate that more than you running them into the ground by stringing spools all day or whatnot.

also, loose the spools, get a rapid load head on your trimmer, you will wonder why you didnt think of this sooner. no more spooling, you can run thicker line, and no tangles in the spools, and no annoying "bumping"
  8. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I know you said that some of this time could add up to an additional lawn or two by the end of the day. My question is do you not have a set schedule for that day, and when its done the day is complete. If these guys are getting the schedule complete day after day I would not sweat it too much. I am speaking from experience here, nobody likes to feel like they can't relax for a second out of the day because their boss is watching their every move. That is a horrible way to have to work. If these guys are doing a good job for you, I would cut them a little slack here and there. You will drive yourself crazy trying to think of little things for them to do, when in reality they are doing their job.
  9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Yea it is a PITA sometimes.

one of the 1st things I useually do is take a new guy to the gas station,

I check him out by seeing waht he does when I'm fueling the truck.

a many of guy has lost his job because of this.

The same for your so called down time. If there NOT smart enoulf to check oil, wash windows, clean out truck, check equiptment, while your busy with 3 ,4 and 5 minute task..... THERE FIRED
  10. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, I dont think I'd want to work for you! I've only got one employee, but he gets to work on time (often early) every day, he's willing to work late whenever I need him to, He'll work in the sun, rain, snow, sleet, etc., He eats his lunch in the truck between stops, If I'm not in the shop by the time he gets here in the AM, he'll start cleaning/ servicing equipment... I'm surely not going to ride his A$$ all day to not have 2 minutes of idle time. I think it is more important to find workers with good work ethics, than finding average workers and having to ride them to do what they are paid to do. My employee doesn't have to ask for his paycheck every week, so I shouldn't have to ask him to do his job every day either!