For those Michigan Landscapers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MJK, Sep 30, 2006.

1. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

Do you need a license? I don't install sprinklers or put chemical apps down. I do lawn cutting, landscape/hardscape work. Do I need one? Also do you need a license if you contract the above work out?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

For irrigation installation, no. For the chem. aps, yes. The applicator has to be certified, AND the business has to be licensed.

3. MJK

I just got confused because i looked at a brochure for a competitor and they have there contractor license number on it. Do you think this is just for chem?

4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

that could be a license number for landscape design, plumbers license( required to make a sprinkler connection to home plumbing)
    Here is a link to the state list of businesses requiring licenses
    http://www.michigan.org/medc/services/license/

5. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

also if your selling anything you will need your sales tax license and if you are buying/selling/growing/installing any plants or trees you will need a version of the nursery stock license

6. MJK

I just buy and Install. I don't sell. I don't buy them in mass and store them someplace until i need them, i just buy them as i need them. Does that make a difference? Also what about Brick work? Thanks a ton you guys.

7. terrapro

this is directly word for word from the michigan department of agriculture

Nursery Licensing:

Any person, firm, partnership, association or corporation engaged in the business of growing, selling or re-shipping nursery stock or herbaceous perennials must be licensed in the state of Michigan..

Who DoesnÂ’t Need a License?

Those who only sell annual flower or vegetable plants are not required to obtain a license to sell within the state.
    ----------------------------------------------
    so yes you need to be licensed by the state to purchase then install anything and yes you are considered selling it plus you are transporting it which is also covered by the license(other than annual type plants).this license is what you would need to be legal.
    Nursery Stock
    Dealer License Covers the sale, by other than the grower, of propagated or wild, hardy perennial or biennial trees, shrubs or vines, or other nursery stock, including rose bushes, and for LANDSCAPERS planting or transplanting stock types listed above. $100 fee

*link to mich.gov* http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-1569_16993_16998-11226--,00.html

8. MJK

Thanks guys. I appreciate it alot.

9. terrapro

no problem. check out that site too....the department of agriculture was on my speed dial for a long time when i first started.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I wopuld also like to give thanks for the clarification. I wasn't even giving any thought to the nursery stock end of it (irrigation/chem. being mentioned put the narrowmindedness on it for me) , but I bet there are ALOT of guys out there that don't know this. :)