1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

For those of you near water

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bayfish, Jul 18, 2004.

1. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone using the winter months to make money cleaning, repairing or transporting boats? I live between the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic Ocean where there is plenty of boats. Where there are boats, there are usually people with money.
  2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope. There are so many boat repair shops here you cannot swing a dead cat without hitting one. Plus I know next to nothing about boats.
  3. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Not even a dead one? . . .That's pretty close!!!:laugh:
  4. bayfish

Now that I think more about it...I have a boat and maybe that's why I don't have any money.
  5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

The liability insurance is worse than a tow truck . I looked into it 10 years ago.
  6. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Don't see to boat here.

Any crabs down there Bayfish Jumbo's I'm near washington no good crabs up here.
  7. bayfish

I did some extensive research last winter in regard to boat transportation over the road. Insurance for 48 contiguous states was 4K per year. New Hostar hydraulic trailer is 23K for 30 foot trailer. These trailers are amazing. you back under any boat, high or low tide, and pick it up out of the water. Most in the business recommend a F350 or bigger dually. If you went regional only, say Md., Del. Va. , insurance would be much less. Biggest drawback is that the busy season coincides with ours. Especially in the spring. I rode with a guy in the business one day that drove a total of 120 miles, 60 miles of the 120 loaded with a 30ft boat, and charged $375 to haul it and block it at his marina. Not bad for a couple hours work. On short runs, he charges $10 X the length of the boat. On longer runs he charges $3 per mile. Then adds a fee for blocking the boat. Some go with brokers, but the broker makes out better than the operator. I'm thinking this could still be good to do locally where there is so many bays, rivers and an Ocean in Maryland. Insurance and equipment costs are much lower and you could build up a clientel between Baltimore, Annapolis, and the Ocean. Delaware also. It would require some advertising in trades mags. and developing a relationship with some marinas. The cleaning and waxing part could keep some of your employees busy during the winter months. Since I have an older F350 dually, local use is O.K. However I would'nt want to haul it to Florida with it. That leaves the need for a trailer which a good used one would run about 10K. I already carry $2 mil insurance, would just need customers.
  8. bayfish

The watermen are having an excellent season here. Crabs are plentiful. The price is running at $75 per bushel or $105 already steamed and seasoned with Old Bay. I can smell'em now. Had some a couple weeks ago. Man they were fat heavy with meat. That bushel must have weighed 40 LBS.
  9. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Now that is funny :D