For those of you that sharpen your own chainsaw chains

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Barkleymut, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

2. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I just sharpen my chains with a file. (No guide) that has always worked well for me!

3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Not IMO, but I have been doing them for so long it is like second nature. That thing would slow me down too much.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Ditto! To easy with a file;)

Mac

5. coalburner

coalburner LawnSite Member

I think the only way to go is the chainsaw sharpening attachment for a Dremel. It makes a wicked edge on the chain.:D

6. rock

rock LawnSite Member
    from V.A.

My dad is the 3rd generation in my family to be in the timber industry,and he has never used anything but a file. And by the way only uses STIHL chainsaws(just thought i would put that in there). Merry Christmas all!!!!!!

7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

$ 1.29 files with no guide.Haven't found a tree my Stihl couln't cut down after I sharpened them.Dealer charges $ 6.00 a chain, and is s.. l... o... w , time is money my friend.Make the most of it!

8. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

9. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Just use a file. The key is to not let the chain get bad dull before you lap it a few times. Most chains will have a angle guide etched in the cutter for you to go by. When cutting...I keep that file in the pocket.

10. Camelot Gardens Uk

Camelot Gardens Uk LawnSite Member

I got fed up with paying my Dealer $30 to sharpen each chain, bought a husky file with a guide for $20 and now do it myself!