1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

for those of you who bag...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by contra, May 11, 2003.

1. contra

contra LawnSite Member

how much do you charge (in addition to the normal mowing cost) per dump? I was thinking around $3 a dump, or do you guys just factor that in to the mowing cost?
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I just factor it in.
  3. contra

contra LawnSite Member

4. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

I hate bagging to time consuming I tell my customer up front I charge 10 dollars extra to bag. I always try to push mulching I tell them the truth about the nitrogen they are throwing away. Some will insist and don't mind paying the extra 10 dollars. :blob2: :cool:
  5. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

I usually just add 25-30% to the mowing cost to cover the extra time and expense. I try to keep the cost high enough to discourage people from asking for it.
  6. Auroris

Auroris LawnSite Member

A percentage... somewhere between 15%-25%. For me this all depends on the length of the grass (e.g. - is this a spring clean-up or catch-up, etc.) and whether or not the grass is wet (in Western Washington, it often is).

I also charge differently to haul the clippings than if it's simply bag & dump in the client's mulch pile.

Nobody seems to like bagging because it is extra work. But it's also extra "green" that you can take to the bank.
  7. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

I said I hated it but I don't mind getting paid to do it. Like dude I do like the extra cash.:blob2: I gree with you Auroris you can extra green to the bank:cool:
  8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

It's always just been built in to the cost of mowing. Around here, there really isn't any choice but to bag anyway.

We pay a flat fee every month to the yard debris dump that's close to my house. For that fee, we get to dump as much or as little yard debris as we want to. We generally dump about 5-6 truckloads per day there. Some days more.
  9. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't bag much at all except for clean-ups, If I did bag, I'd just figure it in when I gave them the quote.. Mulching is the way to go.. Some lawns I did years ago before mulching came around looked very good bagged, even today a bagged lawn does stand out to me.....

Lou :cool:
  10. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually add $10-15 extra to bag. I usually try to get them to let me mulch it.