For those that charge a monthly fee

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnstar, May 14, 2004.

1. Lawnstar

Lawnstar LawnSite Member

What do you guys do when you have a customer set up on a monthly type fee for mowing, edging, weedeating and blowing and you miss one visit because of rain. Do you charge the full monthly fee, because in two weeks the grass will be taller and take longer to cut? Or do you deduct for one week from the monthly fee, since you missed one week because of the rain?

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you DON'T deduct anything. they pay the same fee.

3. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

That really doesn't seem fair...would you pay for a service that you didn't get?

4. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

++++That really doesn't seem fair...would you pay for a service that you didn't get?++++

It might not seem fair, but realize, that it's a lot harder sale to make on the front end than charging by the cut. Any customer who signs up for a flat rate monthly fee should be able to realize that there may be a few cuts when it doesn't need it, like during a drought. Or perhaps late in the fall. But they also realize that it's a flat monthly expense, which may be what they want, so they can budget accordingly.

If you've agreed to a flat monthly price to keep the lawn maintained, that's the price. You keep it maintained to a reasonable standard. You can't control the weather. And remember too, you're not getting paid anything extra when you do a cut with excessive growth.

As for missing a cut, I don't think that's very good either. If you get rained out one day, the people who were rained out should be the first ones on your schedule as soon as it clears up. But if they've agreed to a monthly flat rate, I wouldn't volunteer any discounts. Let them ask for it or complain before you consider that. If they feel they're being mistreated, they'll let you know.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

just went through something similar with a new client. i said EVERY WEEK, FROM NOW TILL OCT 30TH.. he said, "but what about in july, august when it really don't need it?" i said the double cutting, the extra work done in april/may/june, is an investment towards those easy weeks. it's a give and take thing. put it this way, you charge a seasonal fee, wether it's 30 cuts or one, it's xxx amount per season

6. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I agree with not deducting anything from the bill. It's a monthly charge and that's the way it is. What I don't agree with is waiting 2 weeks to go back. If I miss a cut because of wheather, I'm back at that account as soon as possible. Even if I have to cut more lawns on one day to catch up. I never let a lawn go that long during the growing season.

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

i'm with dennis on that. i have monthly fee payers that r scheduled for friday or sat, if something happens i get there monday, but i'm back on friday or sat. don't take advantage

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

why would you miss a whole week?
    it still gets cut..........it may be only a few days before the next normally scheduled cut but it still gets cut.

9. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I go back and make up the cut. If I can't cuz it rains for 4 days straight, it's just to bad.

Full charge that month.

10. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

My monthly accts are figured on a 30 week season. Rarely do we give 30 mowings. Average is 28 mowings . April is usually short a week because of slow greenup or they are slow getting the sprinkler system on. And in the fall we are doing more leaf cleanup than actual mowing. But these are commercial customers and they prefer to know everything is going to be taken care of and not neglected because it would be an extra charge. Bottom line is they pay for 30 weeks, wether they get mowed that many times or not.