For those that don't know Bahia..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenT, Jul 27, 2007.

1. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Now that this part of Florida has gotten into a steady every-day summer storms pattern, I felt it would be a good idea to post pictures of Bahia grass in its full glory.

Talk about job security. This is one week growth.

Enjoy! :waving:

2. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

WOW! one week?!! thats nuts. and i thought it was bad here. you could cut that every other day probably. nice pictures, because i wasnt familiar with bahia grass. im glad we dont have it.
  3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Now show the nubs left from your mower's blades after the sand does a number on them. Nasty stuff there.
  4. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Yup. I do this property and next door's too, altogether about 6 acres. When I finish, so are my blades. It's a combination of the sand and the Bahia, I swear sometimes I think I'm cutting wires instead of grass. This grass is lethal on blades.
  5. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Bahia has a high silica content. Basically it is sand growing out of the sand. Its close to the equivalent to running over sand all day. Terrible on blades. I dont take on any accounts with high amounts of bahia anymore. And im slowly getting rid of the old accounts I have that have this stuff growing. I absolutely hate it.

Now when it comes to bush hogging I love it. It grows fast, so i have to redo lots at least monthly here. And since its bush hogging and not mowing, it doesnt have to be a nice smooth cut. A long as its not knee high its good enough.
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have one like that. Are you just cutting it and letting it lay or are you running back over it to disperse the clippings? I go back over the bad parts on mine about 3 times and then hit it with the blower to get rid of the huge majority of it. Thank God it's only 3/4 acre.
  7. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Not to mention all those seed heads that come out the backside of the deck and stick up 10 inches.... uncut:dizzy:

I have a builder with 24 houses that get cut every three weeks.... even with the rain we've been getting now. It looks like I should have a hay baler behind me.

One good thing about bahia..... it doesn't gum up the deck and the trimmer doesn't give me a case of "green legs" after working it all day.
  8. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

One question. If you guys are going through a pair of blades a day or more down there. How come everyone from down there who says their pricing it is lower than the lowest lowballers anywhere else.

I just don't see how you can make money chewing up $12 in baldes a day at minimum and that is on 32 or 36 inch machines.

Thanks for any info you all could give on this.
  9. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not familiar with Bahia Grass but let me ask you a question about it. Where you live and are mowing with all that sand and silica in the grass do you have any which sticks to the underside of the deck ? Does it give the underside an effect somewhat like sandblasting ?

10. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

From my experience, it has to be very wet (like after a good rain) for any to stick under the deck, and then its only a minimal amount.

As far as the sandblasting effect, yes it does affect metal but mostly on the blades since they take the brunt of the abuse. For example, not only do they dull up quickly, but the sails wear off eventually so you loose the lift. That's when I know is time to get new ones.

I haven't calculated it but I would guess I'm getting about 30 hours on my fusions.

These are good accounts averaging $60 per acre however there are LCOs in the area doing them for 20 bucks. Just like those guys doing subdivisions for $50 a month.

In other words I do as much on these 2 accounts as those guys do on 30. :cool2: