For those that pay your own health insurance

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by meets1, Sep 6, 2010.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

What are you guys paying? I have a family of 5 - myself, wife and 3 little boys ages 2,4,6. Were dropping a few things, adding a few things and insurance premiun will actually go down. Curious what you guys have, how much / month you pay and how many on a policy?

2. mikeslawnlandscapeohio

mikeslawnlandscapeohio LawnSite Member

I have my daughter(2) and myself on a ploicy and it costs $150.00 per month. it is thru anthem blue cross

3. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Smoken - thats cheap. What deductible are you running. I am in the $1000 range now - need to change something - increase the deductible etc. I have a $500 deduct now, and pay 10%, $20 co-pay and $5 for med's. I could afford to increase all that to lower our monthly prem. cost.

4. mikeslawnlandscapeohio

mikeslawnlandscapeohio LawnSite Member

I have $5000.00 deduct. That way it costs me less per month and if something major happens, it wont cost me to much.

5. thom

thom LawnSite Member

How old are you?
    I am 54,and am paying $330.00 month and have a $5000.00 annual deductable.MY policy is thru United health care.

6. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I am 22. With a 2,000.00 deductable my insurance is $88.00 a month. It doesnt cover any medication.
    FYI, for thoughs that dont know(I just found out because I just started paying medical insurance) Medical insurance can be used as a tax writeoff if you are self employed.

7. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

22 years old, just myself is $87 and some change. Blue Cross with a $1000 deductible. Hardly covers anything but saved me alot of money when I cut the tip of my pinky off. :laugh:

8. thom

thom LawnSite Member

welcome to the short finger club.I joined that club in 1976 at the ripe old age
    of 20.baptism by lawn mower.I remember it like it was yesterday.

9. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

haha! They ended up saving mine actually, but one knuckle on that finger does not work and no finger nail. I was lucky, it was about -10 degrees out and I had gloves on. Hurt pretty good until I went inside, warmed up and took my gloves off, saw the tip of my finger hangin by the skin and it started to hurt very very badly.

10. thom

thom LawnSite Member

the event was relatively painless,being in shock helped I think.the doc took pieces of the severed finger tip and did a graft on what was still attached to my hand.
    the most painfull part was when the doc peeled the scab from live finger tissue.you could hear me yelling a mile away.