For those who accept credit cards

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by stumper1620, Nov 21, 2005.

1. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

is it worth it? do you get new customers because of it?
    If you do, is it effective as a marketing tool? who do you go through for it?
    I've had a couple plow estimates that have asked and I'm beginning to think its time.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I process credit cards and its boarder line in regards whether it is good or bad. Sometimes if comes in handy and you can really use it, but other times it just sits there doing nothing.

3. stumper1620

thats why I asked, I kinda think it will sit there doing nothing, do you advertise that you accept them? and has it helped get calls or not much change?

4. tiedeman

from earth

it really hasn't helped at all I don't feel. There has only been one person over the years that loves the credit card because they could earn miles.

I just add the credit card graphic to my advertising to let people know

5. stumper1620

Thanks Troy,
    Ive had a couple this year for plowing that seem to want it and I'm not sure if it is worth the cost involved, if it don't help gain clients for the summer season.
    the last thing I need to do right now is add an expense that won't cover its own cost.
    from what I've seen the ones who want the card are living on the card. makes me wonder how long til that well runs dry. most of my clients want the check in my hand within a week of the bill date. you know the type, bill comes in and the check goes out the next day. I love those kinda people.

6. tiedeman

from earth

I do admit that it has covered its own, but nothing great. For example (I am guessing), I think that in the last 3 years alone I have only used about $3,200 for credit card charges, with around $800 in credit card fees. That is still $800 that I could have in my pocket. It has come in handy when someone is late payment and I call up demanding payment right then and there. It especially came in handy last year when one snow removal customer was really bad in paying late, so I basically told her, the only way that I will keep on doing snow removal is that you provide me with a credit card and I charge it accordingly every week.

7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think it's brought in new business, but it makes things easier for me. I bill through quickbooks using the email billing solutions and accept cc payments through that. Easy as pie, and the $$ comes in fast.

8. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys that use credit cards store the information needed to be able to bill them automatically? I have heard from someone that visa is cracking down on this and fining people like 50k for storing credit card information. Any knowledge of this? Also, how could you do automatic billing where you bill it when you need without the customer doing it if this is the case?

9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Quickbooks will store the # for repeated billing.

10. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<Table width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><TR><TD><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></TD></TR></Table>
    Hi dsmrolla06,

If your customers agree to be billed automatically, that is a good deal for you.

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Make your own logo Free.</center>