For Those who are seasonal

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Flow Control, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Name some of the better decisions you made and some of the not so good decisions you made in trying to improve your company this year.

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Good:
    I stopped servicing rentals for 2 companies - one had about 50, the other about 30. Systems weren't very good, tenants tough to schedule with, property managers demanding. We have a few rentals but no more than 6-8 per manager.
    Bought a compressor finally - looks and runs great
    Made a few more contacts for referral work

Bad:
    Worked too many weekends in Apr., May, June which let to my most stressful year
    Yelled (by email) to a good referring company. Have since lost that contact.
    Should have tried to line up at least one or two installs for late in the summer to keep employee a little more busy. Last year we had two big revamp jobs and one big lighting install late in the summer season.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going to work as a full time sprinkler tech next spring to take the stress level down a notch. Last spring I spent about 3 days a week doing installs, and another 3 days doing service. Regardless, I was wore out as were everyone else. I don't think working 60+ hour weeks from April to July is healthy.

I found a great kid who I'm training over the late summer/fall/winter to take over being the install foreman so I can stick to fulltime service.

We aren't seasional, we work about 11 months out of the year, but everything slows down a lot in the winter.

4. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

NOt sure this will be a smart thing. But i"m thinking about heading to the keys for 3 months. Last yr it didn't snow at all (I have a plow).. Not really sure that x-mas lighting is worth it for me anyway. So the keys are sounding pretty good... I could go to work for a irritatioin company there as a tech.