1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

For those who charge for their landscape designs.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by drsogr, Feb 10, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been spending 2 and a half hours putting an extensive package together for my customers on landscape designs. I include a plan, info on my company, and an info sheet with color pictures for each plant. I have been doing well with this. I have gotten every job I had estimated. Everone is impressed by it.

Well I had built one for a guy and called him up and told him it was complete. He told me he went with someone else. Now I spent 2 and a half hours doing work that no one will ever see. I think its time to start charging.

What do you guys charge? When do you tell them that you are going to charge for a design? Do you charge just for the big designs? How much hesitation do you get from the customers calling?
  2. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

If a customer calls and wants a design done I tell them $250.00 (real price) for a "consultation" (never charge for a design). Then when I present the design we go over the likes and dislikes, until we get to the final product. If we do the install on the project the 250.00 is credited to the job. The reason to charge a "consultation" is if you charge for a design you are obligated by law to give the customer your design, then they can turn around to anyone and let them do the install. For phonecalls, this is a way of qualifying your customer, if they don't like a $250.00 consultation they definitely won't like an install for 5000.00. It works for us, and since we have been doing it we have had a 100% close rate on our submitted estimates.
  3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

200. for a basic drawing payed before i start
  4. cleancutccl

One other thing, if you are spending that long on a design and are doing a decent amount of them in a season look into Pro landscape software. It will save a ton of time, link it to Horticopia.com and it prints out the plant descriptions for you with a little picture.
  5. drsogr

Here is a pic of the AutoCad drawing I am sending out. I doubt its anything compared to what you guys are doing. Let me know how it compares.

The 2 and half hours is from start to finish.

Figuring out what plants to use - 30 minutes

Drawing the Design - hour

Doing the Estimation - 30 minutes

Putting the packet together - 30 minutes

6. drsogr

I do need to look into different software. I print out my plant descriptions from my own library. I made a 2 page report on all the plants that my local nurseries carry. It took me a while. But it is a very useful tool. And every page has my company name. I have 2 - 3" binders full. I keep them in my truck so when my customer have a question I can quickly research them. My knowledge of plants is lacking. This has really helped.
  7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i also use autocad 2004.
    works ok, but would like to have some lps routines to simplify some things....

we have a $250.00 minimum for design work.
  8. cleancutccl

Pro landscape has a autocad program just like that, and also has digital landscape where you take a picture and landscape the picture, I use it the most because it shows the customer exactly what they are getting. Have you asked the nursery if they have a listing of what plants they typically carry. The nursery I use here caters only to contractors and supplies a yearly notebook of all the plants they carry, the sizes, and the prices.
  9. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

10. drsogr

The Nursery I use has that list. I have seen the digital landscape, but I am hesitant to use it. It seems to me that it would give a false impression of what the landscape would look like. When I show my customers the plants I am using, they now I am good, they don't need anymore proof.