For those who discharge clippings...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Four Star, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Four Star

Four Star LawnSite Member

I'm looking for tips on keeping the lawns looking nice while discharging. This year is the first year I've discharged, and I have a problem with grass blowing up against the houses and such. I can just go the opposite way, away from the house, but then I have a huge pile of clippings, from discharging them all in the same direction. Any ideas?

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

the rain as magnified the problem.
    cut it then raise the blade one level,and run over itv again . u will find it really disperses the clippings, well i hope.works for me

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

no matter what when discharging you are going to have a problem where clippings get in the landscaping beds and around the house. Just go back afterwards with a blower and blow the clippings out and off from things. It all depends on the lay out of the propery. Sometimes when there are no landscaping beds around the house we shoot it towards the house, and all we have to do is blow off the foundation, thats all.

4. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

We started discharging all this year too, as others have said...backpack blower over the messy areas, sounds like a pain and not worth it but it is.....you usually have to strap on the blower at the end anyhow, only takes a minute on most extra time and if real bad maybe 10 minutes but you will have saved more than 10 minutes by not bagging a real long lawn anyhow. With the right approach you cant tell if it was bagged or wasn't. Believe me I never thought I could get away with discharging but you can!

5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

It helps to use the throttle to your advantage---just throttle down when you are less than three stripes away from bed or other object. Also just plan ahead---stripe perpendicular to the house when the grass is especially tall or thick.

I can't wait to start mulching this summer---I hope to cut mowing time by 10% on smaller properties.

6. OTC, operator controlled discharge.

7. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

You didn't say what you've done previously.
    Why not mulch?

8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to side discharge. Then I went to an E-Z Chute. It worked ok but always left a trail of grass at the discharge side, so you would have to go over and over it to make it look good, what a pain. Now I run the full Exmark mulch kit on my TTHP and considering the conditions I'm mowing in, it does very well.

9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

fourstar--mow two laps around the yard discharging away from the structure. then stripe back and forth.

GEO

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

If you are able to keep up with the rain and getting to your accounts I find mulching the way to go. Better for the lawn and less work for you. If this is not an option then invest in a OCDC.

Gravely_Man