Lawn Care Forum banner

For those who enjoy Gravelys.

11K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  GravelyNut 
#1 ·
A few pictures of my Gravely rebuild/repower. Highest HP Gravely ever put on a 4-wheel tractor was the 24 HP Onan on the 24-G Model. As this one now has a 35 HP Briggs Vanguard on a G series frame, it is a 35-G.:weightlifter:

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

See less See more
#6 ·
Very nice. We have one of the old 4 wheelers left and 16 of the two wheelers for snow removal. Great machines, built like the proverbial tank. She looks great. Does she pull wheelstands?
At idle it will hop the front wheels. I don't open the throttle up until it is already moving. I haven't mounted the skid plate under the engine yet. Although there is a 1/2" plate under the crankcase that is part of the new engine adapter plate. :) This engine does balance the tractor out better as it has about 25 lbs less engine weight behind the rear wheels. But that also causes some interesting results when you stop from full speed in high gear. Everything should work better once I get the 60" deck mounted under or in front of it.

#7 ·
I am old enough to have been around the block a few times and I am mechanically able. I am just learning the joys of owning and maintaining a JD 175.
However, that Waverly looks way cool. I am not familiar with them at all - maybe I have been ignorant to them. Is it just a tractor or does a mowing deck go up underneath it?

#10 ·
I've got a 20 G Professional that needs a new engine, and I've been considering repowering it with a B&S Vanguard kind of like yours, although I don't know if I want to go as big as a 35 HP (yikes!). Did you make a new mounting plate yourself or did you get this as a kit or ???

I had priced out a kit that came with everything needed to covert my 20 G to a Vanguard, it was either an 18 or a 23 HP conversion kit, and the grand total shipped to my address was around $2400.00, this was a tad too rich for my blood!

Any info you can give me on your conversion is greatly appreciated!

Kevin

#13 ·
It looks like the engine is mounted under the seat between the rear wheels. Is only one real wheel driven?
Drive both and has indy brakes so that if a wheel starts to spin, hit the brake on that side and the other will get most of the power.

And if you want to see more Gravelys, go to www.gravelygarage.com for our Mow-In that was just held in West Virginia Oct 3,4,5.

#14 ·
I've got a 20 G Professional that needs a new engine, and I've been considering repowering it with a B&S Vanguard kind of like yours, although I don't know if I want to go as big as a 35 HP (yikes!). Did you make a new mounting plate yourself or did you get this as a kit or ???

I had priced out a kit that came with everything needed to covert my 20 G to a Vanguard, it was either an 18 or a 23 HP conversion kit, and the grand total shipped to my address was around $2400.00, this was a tad too rich for my blood!

Any info you can give me on your conversion is greatly appreciated!

Kevin
The 35 HP Briggs will not clear the tires on a regular G series tranny. The one on this tractor is the one from a ProMaster 20-G or 20-GHS. The axles are 5" longer on each side. Runs 24X12-10 tires on the rear. The plate to adapt the 35 to the tranny is a steel weldment with the hole locations and the nose for the thrust bearing copied as needed from a regular plate. And yes, it has cut grass. It has the standard front mounts so it has had a 40" on the front already. Even at the rated PTO speed, it will smoke the mower's belts without slowing the engine. :) It has the external PTO clutch like a 24-G and it was rebuilt with 35+ HP rated clutch linings. Plus using the PM tranny gives me two useable PTO speeds. Regular for older Gravely attachments at 2400 engine RPM and X 1.5 for PM/24-G decks at 3600 RPM. The peak torque of the engine is at 2200 RPM so it has plenty of torque. Cost for this was inline with your costs including the new hitch, adapter, and engine.
Top forward speed is about 12 MPH in High 4th.

#15 ·
I am old enough to have been around the block a few times and I am mechanically able. I am just learning the joys of owning and maintaining a JD 175.
However, that Waverly looks way cool. I am not familiar with them at all - maybe I have been ignorant to them. Is it just a tractor or does a mowing deck go up underneath it?
Gravely made or sold about 200 attachment that could be used on the 2-wheel tractors, Almost all of those plus the ones for the 4-wheel tractors can be used on a regular 4-wheel Gravely. This tractor supports front and center mounts and might end up even supporting a rear Cat 1 3-point hitch at some point in time. And a sidemount mower is in the works for it.

#16 ·
Thanks much for the info, that is quite the machine you have there! With that much H.P. you could go lawn mower racing with ease (LOL). Maybe a set of wings like "chitty chitty bang bang" would be in order<evil grin>. A spectacular job all around, what a conversation piece.
I wonder if a 23 H.P. Vanguard would fit the standard tranny width, I suspect I'll be sticking with my OEM transmission and try to either retrofit a Vanguard or repair/replace the original Kohler Magnum 20. The guy with the complete retrofit kit didn't say anything about spacing out the rear wheels so I assume it must clear OK.

Great info, again, thanks much for the reply...happy motoring!

Kevin

#17 ·
Thanks much for the info, that is quite the machine you have there! With that much H.P. you could go lawn mower racing with ease (LOL). Maybe a set of wings like "chitty chitty bang bang" would be in order<evil grin>. A spectacular job all around, what a conversation piece.
I wonder if a 23 H.P. Vanguard would fit the standard tranny width, I suspect I'll be sticking with my OEM transmission and try to either retrofit a Vanguard or repair/replace the original Kohler Magnum 20. The guy with the complete retrofit kit didn't say anything about spacing out the rear wheels so I assume it must clear OK.

Great info, again, thanks much for the reply...happy motoring!

Kevin
The 18 and 23 should fit a regular one. The 31 won't as it shares the same size as the 35. The 18 is 16" wide while the 35 is 21". Some people also have used a 24 HP Honda on the regular tranny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.