For those who have already implemented auto-pay

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by GMLC, Oct 31, 2011.

1. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I sent a survey to all my clients to see what they thought about going on auto-pay next season. I was nervous because I have been reading a lot of threads on here and wasn't expecting much participation(or loss of clients). To my surprise most of my clients thought it would be a great idea. Of course the slow payers were against it.

My question is for those that already have cc numbers on file. How do you store this info safely? Does the merchant/cc processor store the info or do you? Is there a form to gather cc info from clients and get consent to charge it at the end of the month? Thanks for any help.

2. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Also interested in learning the things you asked as this is something I'm interested in. Bump to the top

3. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

My wife handles this but I do know a little bit about it. I know that she keeps the cc/debit# on file not the merchant/cc processor.

I don't think she uses a form.

It's funny some customers are quick to want to do this others don't want anything to do with it.

We have several payment methods, we let contract customers pick the one they want.

One time customers don't have a choice, cc/debit card. She runs the card just before we do the work. If it's not approved we don't do the work.

4. arninglawns

arninglawns LawnSite Member

Auto-pay is a great selling point. People want the most hassle-free experience possible. You don't have to make everyone do it, but you should let those that want to.

5. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

Make all of your new customers sign up for auto pay. It makes life 10 times easier. My program keeps it on file. If you ask for people credit card like it is the only way you take payment they will give you the card number. For new customers at the end of the estimare process just say Now all i need is your cc number to get the service started. 1 out of 10 will not want to do it which in my mind says they wasnt going to pay u anyways.

6. GMLC

Thanks guys, I've been putting this off for way to long. Next season I will have auto-pay fully implemented!!

7. JDT Property Care

JDT Property Care LawnSite Member

I would like to do this as well... but what credit card service will you be using? Square, quickbooks, or something else?

8. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

I use bank of America as my merchant. I get my money the next business day at 7 am. American express takes 2-3 days
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. GMLC

I use quickbooks pro so I will give them a try first.

10. JDT Property Care

JDT Property Care LawnSite Member

I also use quickbooks pro... I have been looking into intuits go payments and think that's the way I will go...
    Posted via Mobile Device