for those who have been to court to collect

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 24, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

a member here recently got boned in small claims court. i don't believe in small claims court. anytime ive had to use the court system to collect, i've filed it as a theft. my question is has anyone used this method, and what was the turnout? i recently filed once again with the courts, and they changed thier policy slightly in one town here. there is "small claims", which i will not use, then there is the "change". you have to specify wether you want to file it as "theft of service", or "criminal theft." i told them, "which ever one will result in him being placed in handcuffs, forced to pay my bill, and then prosecuted further as a criminal." the clerk just looked at me with a blank look, and said , "fill out this form." it was a new form titled, "criminal theft." question here is, has anyone gone this route, and what was the turnout?

2. Forest

Forest LawnSite Member

Nah, I don't bother with that myself. I'd rather just do a drive-by shooting :gunsfirin ...jk.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Going for the jugular, ey bobby??? :angry:

4. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on the amount. If it is under $500 then we go to a "Friendly" court and win 99% of the time. Over, it is either Obtaining Good under False Pretenses" or "Theft by Deceiption". Usually they will get a call from the OD telling them of the complaint and when they realize it is not a joke but criminal I get a cashiers check in a day or two. Only one jack$&@ went all the way and got 5 years probation and still had to pay the money with interest.