1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

For those who own brown bed edgers, a question of maintenance

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by matthew horner, Apr 8, 2005.

1. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

Howdy, I just got a used brown/trenchmaster with a 9hp honda. I drained the oil, but there's no dipstick, so do I fill TO the drain plug level, like an old push mower?????
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing in the manual on this? If not I would presume so, but maybe someone else can chime in, here. I would also try Honda's website to see if perhaps you can dig something up from there. The engine manual SHOULD have something about the capacity in it. One thing is for sure...you didn't mess around when it came to buying a real piece of equipment!
  3. matthew horner

Yeah, I'd check the manual, but I got it used and it does'nt come with one. It really is a nice piece of equipment, and it is disgusting what I paid for it. Best deal so far this year, but anyways, I think you just fill to the oil drain, kindof like a transfer case on a truck etc, but was looking for advice from someone who has one.
    Thanks ,
  4. scarr133

scarr133 LawnSite Senior Member

Matt, what did you pay for the used edger? I just bought one at nations rent. It is the F-780 model with the 8hp honda engine. They mis-quoted me on the price, but honored it. THey quoted me $461, when it should have been almost $800. I paid it off 2 days after I got it with one job. These machines are great!
  5. matthew horner

The guy wanted 80, but I gave him 90. I know, great deal. I felt bad for him. His business went under because he made bad decisions and had a dui.

Bummer for him, bonus for my business.