For Those Who Plow Snow With A Skid/CTL...

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by dozerman21, Mar 6, 2007.

1. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you guys use, or prefer, between a large straight blade or the Avalanche or Mammoth type box pusher? I might buy one for next winter for my Deere CT332. I'm kind of leaning toward the box pusher, because I plow a subdivision with 100+ units where we also plow the drives. I also have some wide open parking lots, and I have another pickup plowing with me. The driveways are a PIA with a truck. I thought maybe a box pusher would be ideal for backdragging the drives, but I've never used one. I don't really need a V-Plow, that's what I have on my truck. I guess I'm looking for the one that would perform the best on the driveways and in wide open bulk pushing.

Also, what would an 8'+ size box cost, and does it mount to the attachment plate or the bucket?

2. Duramax8832

Duramax8832 LawnSite Member

Look up Protec snow pushers. They have a pusher box that you can roll forward and back drag with also.. Perfect for short driveways in a condoplex..Just drag it out to the street, roll the pusher back and scoop it away. They will hook right up to the skid steer mounting plate. I wanna say an 8ft is around 3 g's

3. Duramax8832

Duramax8832 LawnSite Member

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I have an FFC snow pusher 8' with the pull back blade. It was $2500. Works well. You can move a lot of snow with one.

5. JDSKIDSTEER

JDSKIDSTEER LawnSite Bronze Member

You got a good deal. I looked in my FFC price book. List is 3323.00 add 779.00 for pull back and then add frt. Price depends on dealers volume discount. I do not know when you bought yours. Steel and fuel prices last year priced some attachments out the roof. I am guessing 3500.00 to 4 gs depending on discount and frt charges to dealer.

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

It was an unused 04 model. Maybe thats why I got a break. I checked with FFC after I bought it and I did not think I saved a lot on it. I checked to see if I saved the email from FFC but I can't find it. Well it is nice to have equity I guess.

7. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys. The Pro-Tech and FFC look like solid set-ups.

I'm thinking of getting the 10' box. According to Pro-Tech's website, the machine is plenty big enough. What do you guys think? Also, how does the rubber cutting edge hold up?

8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I did not push enough to get any wear on the rubber strip. 10 foot may be easy to push on fresh snow. It might be more difficult on packed snow or ice. Also bouncing around vehicles and small parking lots may be difficult with such a large box. Just a thought. The 8' I have seems like a lot at times.

9. cutnchukcanuk

cutnchukcanuk LawnSite Member

I am also considering a pusher for my 1840. For a smaller machine like mine I might be better with a 6', though I would really like an 8'. I was surprised to see that the FFC weighs 1005lbs. in an 8' and the Protech is 800lbs. in the same size. Add the pull back addition (277lbs.) to the FFC box and you have a 1300 lb unit. I realize that the amount of snow is going to decide the performance I get, but would that much weight help my single speed machine in terms of inertia or is that a detriment to a machine with a 1500 rating. I am hoping to find a used unit to save a few bucks and I have only found 8'ers so far. Any advice would be appreciated!

10. cutnchukcanuk

cutnchukcanuk LawnSite Member

If the 1005 lb weight on the FFC site is including the pull back option they do not say so.