For those who run stihl trimmers...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcwlandscaping, Dec 6, 2005.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Any stihl trimmer owners use the gear box edger attachment, what are your opinions on it? Thanks

Michael

2. aklandscape

aklandscape LawnSite Member

I use that edger. it works pretty well. I also use the pole saw and 90 degree hedge trimmer attachment. Stihl has some good stuff.

3. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Im too poor to buy one. I use a Knife.:cool2:

4. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I have a lot of Stihl tools. The gear box attachments are a good idea, but to change from a trimmer head to an edger requires some major cleaning first. Unless you clean the connection point real careful with compress air, a lot of dirt will fall into the inner works of the trimmer. Plus, at least with our Tall Fescue here, we also need to clean the lower 5 or 6 inches of the shaft with 409 to remove all the grass things that stick around there. Otherwise, it will be hard to mount the edger.

Really wish Stihl would have a sock or something to make the connection point more dust proof. I usually end up taping the connection point with blue masking tape.

To the attachments (for the Stihl 110/120), have the articulated hedge sheer, edger, trimmer, brush cutter and pole saw. They all work great, the FS110 has plenty of power.

If you plan on changing the attachments frequently, I would go the Stihl Kombi system, where the connection point is half way between attachment and power head. This connection stays always clean and is more suited for frequent changes.

If you change attachments in the shop and have compressed air, the regular trimmer with the gearbox attachments is great.

John

5. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 110 also with hedge shear, edger, brush blade and trimmer head. It has plenty of power, but is kind of a pain if switching attachments alot. You may (as stated in the above post) want to go with the one made for frequently changing attachments.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

John is correct on this. I have the fs85 and I switch from a trimmer head with a blade on it and an edger attatchment. IT is used mainly as an edger but after using the blade for a while the lower shaft needs to be cleaned some to ease with the change back to an edger. Far as the edger goes it is a great product in my mind. With dual wheels it tracks nice and the stihl has a larger opening that almost never clogs with dirt.
    wayne

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

1) So what your saying is when i take one off, clean the shaft before putting the next head on. And clean out the connections points inside the shafts, right?

2) does anyone know how what the approximate cost of the edger head?

3) Where can i get good, edger blades for it for relativly low cost

4) how do i know when a blade is dull and is there anything i should or that is worth doing to make them last longer?

Sorry for the long amount of questions, just want everthing to work right in the end,

Thank you for the posts

Michael

8. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

edger blades are like 80 cents a blade or something like that just throw away when the blade wears down