1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

For those who say we need to maintain a minimum of like $30 per cut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by privatelawn, Jun 20, 2007.

1. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

do you guys who wont drop your gates for $30 or less spend more time driving then cutting?

I can cut 30-40 per day with 1 helper in less then 8 hrs and spend all day in 1 subdivision but if I had a $30 minimum id probably have 1 or 2 customers per subdivision, spend more in gas and more time driving

2. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

The farthest i have to drive to a mowing account from my house is 15 min. and its a $50 weekly maintenance account.

I don't hack for less than $30. If I could do a lawn in 10 min. or less and had other accounts next to it then i would consider. You just can't stretch your self out to thin.

What's your cheapest lawn in the sub division?
  3. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

That is only a dream up here! We definately spend more time driving than you! Business is Business, and everyone has different circumstances. Looks like you hit the mother load!

That looks like a development near my cousins in Oveida, when we first went there 10 years ago to visit, it was a cow pasture, now you couldn't fit another house anywhere, and the old dirt road is now 4 driving lanes with a turning lane in the middle!!
  4. privatelawn

$24 a cut which includes hedge trimming but most dont have much hedges to trim...
    well I bill at about $80 per month.
    40 cuts per year = $24 per cut

too low?

Most of these homes are worth $300k-$1mil
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well, it's like this guy I knew had a 6-car loader with a Kenworth or some such rig to pull it.
    He transported classical, collectors, and exotic cars around the USA.

It's not that he wouldn't touch any other car, it's that his price was $2,000 per car minimum, and crazy as it might sound, he had just enough customers. This guy, he'd plan it all out, first car loaded is last to come off, and so on.
    Must've been a logistical nightmare, he'd refuse to take off for less than a 4-car load, and with his prices and his tiny niche market, he'd get just enough cars for one 4-6 car load a month.
    Every time, 8 - 12g.
    Drove maybe however many miles.

Other guys truck cars around the country for $400'ish, they're always on the road, back and forth, run-run-run, each trip nets them 2,400 and in a month they might make 6 fully loaded trips = $14,400
    There's a LOT more cost involved in running your tail off thou, lack of time in planning wastes money, among other things, wear and tear on the rigs, it never ends, you never get a break.
    They're working at least twice as hard for 20% more money, and that's been my experience as well.

So I'm the same way now, I might cut 12-20 lawns / week, but forget 30 because I get a good $35 each.
    But I plan it all out, I don't take off for less than 4 lawns, so I take home 100+ dollars in like 2-3 hours of work, a whole afternoon is an easy 2-300 for me.

My machines last longer and it keeps the stress down, I personally feel much better.
    The jobs turn out better, I get better lawns and better customers on my schedule as well.
    So I'm working on my niche market, I guess you could say B+ credit ratings and class B lawns only.
    I might only have 34 or 35 customers, but I'd rather have 35 spending at LEAST 400 a year than 55 spending 2-300'ish.
    Maybe it is more money the other way, but all in all I think it's all the same money at year's end.
    So what if I only work 3-4 days / week in the field?
  6. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

30-40 per day how many days a week? how many accounts total? 30 houses per day at $24 = $720 or $90 per hour. If you are cutting 30 a day at least 4 days a week I would say your making some good money with just one helper.
  7. privatelawn

Wear and tear... your price $35 = half acre home
    My price $24 = 1/8th acre
    Id think youd have more wear then me for the amount of money.

8. privatelawn

My business is less then 1 year old, so far 2 days full, pretty much all in 2 subdivisions, ive advertised heavely at these 2 subdivisions, door hangers 1 month, postcards the next, door hangers again to the point I have enough to stay all day in 1 subdivision

9. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

half acre home around here gets me 65 per cut. 1/8th acre home gets me 30 per cut.
  10. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Most of those look like 5000 sq ft. lots. I do them for $20, extra $5 for 5-10k (though I'm raising that) and extra $5 for corner lots. It's the pie shaped lots you gotta watch out for. Some of them are 13k sq ft.

I love those kind of neighborhoods, I do snow and window cleaning in them to for cheap.