1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

For those who use Stick edgers.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pinnacle, Sep 23, 2003.

1. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

I am guna pick up the stick edging attach for my Shiny multi-tool today and have a couple of questions about stick edging.

#1 Is there any tricks to using one and getting a nice clean edge

#2 Do you use the stick edger once to cut in an edge and from then on do you maintain it with a trimmer or do you continue to use the stick edger?

#3 How long do the blades last ? say if I had 300 ft to edge, how would the blade look after that?
    Do yous think I should pick up a contractors blade pack with 50 blades in it ?

#4 Do you think Stick edgers are Superior to a trimmer?
  2. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I use the Stick Edger for the first Cut of the year then after I use the Trimmer
  3. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I use the stick edger every week (yeah I use a lot of blades). On the first cut of the year I use the edger to cut a deep trench. After that I adjust the blade height so that only the grass is being cut with the blade while not disturbing the soil. It takes a little practice to get it right, but after a few lawns you get the hang of it. If you do it every week the finished job looks much better. I call it the "manicured" look and my customers love it. It only takes about 5 minutes more per lawn each week and it gives your finished work a more professional look.
  4. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

We use the Edger everytime, Somtimes we may just hit it with the trimmer. But I like the look better with an edger. Very easy to use and fast as Dennis said.
  5. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I use the edger very time. I would get the 50 pack because you are going to wear out some blades. The blades dont cost enough to warrant figuring out how many feet they cut. It is going to vary greatly depending on how much you rub the concrete and how many rocks are in your area.

6. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I find the stick edger to be much, much faster than using a string trimmer.
    As far as cutting in: its my understanding, and my experience, that a stick edger is designed for regular use - meaning "maintaining" an edge. Not that you can't cut-in with one (I've done it but its no fun - even with a 3 wheel edger), but you always have to go back and scrape the matted grass of the concrete anyway.
    There's not really a trick I can speak of, you just learn it from using it. To expedite your learning experience, remember it is ok to touch the concrete a little while edging - that's part of it (just try not to throw sparks in dry grass). Be careful about rubbing the blade on the concrete too hard because you can tear up somebody's driveway. What I do is maintain and very, very light contact with the concrete and I operate mine as fast as I can walk (almost jogging) usually - on properties that I maintain weekly anyhow. Keep the blade upright while edging the get the sharpest look - maybe impossible when you have to balance yourself on a curb while edging next to to a busy road.
    As for how long the blades last, that depends on how much they contact the concrete.
    You made a great investment, just find some place to practice a few times before you put it on a homeowner's property (get all those gouges worked out first).
  7. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto to all of the above.
  8. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

Any of you guys find the blades on the stick edgers to be too small? They all use 8" vs. wheeled edgers that use 10".

I'm ready to toss the blade on my wheeled edger when it gets down to 8"....

Why can't they make 'em 10" :confused:
  9. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Rob, like you I wish the blades were a little longer. Sometimes I have to go back with my trimmer and cut the grass off where the edger wasn't tall enough. I don't like to have to do anything twice becaues it should have been done right the first time!
  10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

We always use stick edgers on hard edges (where turfgrass meets concrete). They do a cleaner job than a string trimmer does. You can use the stick edger for soft edges (where grass meets planting beds, mulch, etc.) if you want. And it will look just fine. I just prefer the string trimmer for edging those areas.

As for tips - just remember this; When edging hard edges, always STAND ON THE CONCRETE (not on the grass) - assuming you're right handed. Also, if you'll tilt the stick edger toward the turfgrass about 5 degrees (as opposed to being perfectly straight up and down) then you'll get a little neater edge.

When edging soft edges with a stick edger, always STAND ON THE TURFGRASS.

For a nicer look, sometimes you have to go over an area more than once to get a real deep edge - which looks a little nicer than a shallow edge.