for those who use stihl trimmers....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcgruff, Jun 10, 2009.

1. mcgruff

mcgruff LawnSite Member

do any of you use the fix cut head that uses the 8 inch pre-cut line?

all you have to do is insert a new line it claims.

any pros and cons that I should know about.

thanks in advance for the replies

2. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

They're a pain in the ass. You have to carry a pocket full of strips around with you all the time and you're constantly changing them.

Bump feed is the only way to go.

3. Wizz

Wizz LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Agreed, a royal pain..they don't last long and those strings are expensive compared to regular trimmer line. Craftsman used this design as well.

4. DRBLawnBuster

DRBLawnBuster LawnSite Senior Member

i used to have a craftsman with that type of head, it sucked but i never accually bought the string in the bag i always cut my own off of my real

5. flyboy

flyboy LawnSite Member

They are a complete waste of time. I agree that bump feed is the only way to go.

6. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

Nope, I use the standard 25-2 auto cut head. No problems with them. The botton spool will get worn out overtime if you bump it too much on hard surfaces such as concrete or brick. Other than that, they are easy to use and easy to reload. Less than a minute it takes to reload.

7. saylorsdad

saylorsdad LawnSite Member

I have a large commercial property that takes me 2.5 hrs to trim I started with the quick feed and it sucks. last year I switched to auto cut c tap and go head. I will not use the easy change line anymore
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. bighaydenslawn

bighaydenslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I just use the AutoCut 25-2 head, I am still experimenting with line though.

Fairly easy to reload and pretty well built it appears.