For Those Who Winterize

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Broker, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys rent or own your aircompressor?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Both. I'll rent a tow-behind, and carry a truck-mount for late-season work.

3. Broker

When we are busy I average 20 per day, now I have one of my techs doing them too do you think that having the expections of him doing 15 per day is reasonable?

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We use two truck mount compressors together.

5. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Of course it isreasonable. If he is a reasonably intelligent guy, conscientious in his work, and properly trained and equipped, there shouoldn't be a problem. But like mowing and irrigation service calls, proper scheduling of the route is paramount.

If you average 20 per day, expecting him to do 25% less isn't to high an expectation. Are you doing those 20 in a normal 8 hr workday or on a 'boss/owner' workday that ends at whenever? Why not make him strive to do 20/day? Incentivize him a little bit. Give him 15 as a base daily number. For each system over that base number drop an extra $5.00 ea. on him. Now, there should be no overtime involved so he won't be double dipping. Also the jobs MUST be complete and correct. I'd bet that he could find the time in the day to squeeze in those extra 5 for an extra $25.00 a day.

And you'll increase the bottom line also. If you are recovering overhead with him doing 15 in an 8 hr day, then the only increase in overhead would be a little extra fuel in the truck and compressor. If you charge $50.00 each (I have no idea what a blowout should cost. As I stated before, our winterization for irrigation is wrap a towel or blanket around the PVB the day before an expected freeze.) and he is doing 15/day that's $750.00. Your costs of running that truck and compressor may be around $70.00 per 8 hr. day. Let's say the Tech costs you $200.00/day for wages/labor burden etc. And your company overhead may be another $100.00. So your GP is $380.00 for those 15 blowouts. If you add 5 blowouts more per 8 hr. day, your costs might increase another $10.00 for added fuel, and you will giving him a $25.00 per day incentive bonus. So you have added another $250.00 per day income and it cost you $35.00. That sounds like gravy money to me.

Just doing some late night rambling.

Jerry

6. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

sorry I didn't see this thread before I responded to turfman's a second ago but the link works here as well
    http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=56468&highlight=blowouts

on the same topic... what is "a lot" of hours for an Ingersoll-Rand 185cfm... the one I just got has 150... I can assume construction hours are a lot more harsh than blowing air through sprinkler pipe which is why I wanted to find a low hour machine... (was it sprinklerguy or greenworld who always says newer is eventually cheaper? in two years I spent more rebuilding my 255sx than I did purchasing it)

Jerry I have to laugh...
    right now I am finishing my last year of school at the University of Michigan... it's taking everything I got going home to work three day weekends, and still care enough to pass all my classes.. this year more than most because I'm trying to get 500 winterizations done... I'm in the weird situation of actually trying to not grow too quick until next spring when I can go full throttle...

anyway... the point was that I was laughing because in class today I did almost the EXACT same math Jerry did...
    (except I did it wih $45 dollars.... trying to build the customer list for next year)

rabble rabble rabble... can you tell I'm avoiding homework?

7. Broker

I had purchased a IR 100CFM AC from Nation's Rent 4-5 years ago with 300hrs for around 2200. One of the best investments I have ever made. This year I am expecting 1600+ winterizations so I came across a 185cfm for 4500 from Nations Rent that I thought was a decent price since other ones with more hours were fetching up to 7000. Inclosed is pics of the two plus pics from a installation from this morning where we hit a tele line a couple of feet from where it was marked.

8. Broker

I will add pics tonight I have to reformat something first

9. Broker

how do you downsize a file that is too large?

10. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

how many hours does your 185 have?