For those with mulch blowers...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by snap12.5, Jan 21, 2005.

1. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have seen a few using mulch blowers around here and it seems as if it would be difficult to use in tight-average size areas. From the nozzle the mulch blows so fast that it would be hard to control the mulch from flying into lawns and driveways? When mulchin beds, I like to mulch right up to the edge line of the lawn and still leave a slight trench to permit trimming etc. It seems as if after blowing the mulch, u have to take a pitch fork and knock mulch off of plants, smooth out uneven areas, and push out some of the mulch away from the edge line (between lawn and beds) as well as remove any mulch from lawns areas. Are these mulch blowers really worth it??? Can u actually control how fast the mulch gets blown out??? Thanks

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

we have a blower and yes it is difficult to blow in tight areas. If all you have is small beds, then a blower is not for you. You are right in that you must do some cleanup work, but while i'm doing my cleanup you are on your third wheelbarrow. :p Long story short.....you have to have the proper properties for a blower and being a great operator helps a little.

Chris

3. snap12.5

from Ohio

cg - thanks for the reply. last question -how do u feed the unit?? does someone shovel the mulch into the feeder or do u have to have a bobcat on site to load it? how much mulch will usually fit into one at a time? thanks

4. cgland

Typically we have a machine on site that keeps loading it. Usually it will be the operators helper. Our unit will hold about 10 yards mounded...very mounded. Our unit is a Finn. Ours is the smallest truck mount they make. They also have larger sizes available.

Chris

5. snap12.5

from Ohio

ok i see. thanks for the replies

6. PB34

PB34 LawnSite Member

Hey CGland, which finn model do you have? I am thinking of getting a new finn unit, possibly the 200 model?

7. cgland

I have the 808 truck mount.

Chris