For those with no insurance.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cantoo, Oct 21, 2005.

1. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Think it can't happen to you? This happened near me yesterday. The whole story hasn't been printed yet.
    http://www.am920.ca/news.php?artID=9533

News
    Local

Falling Tree Kills Woman In Arthur Township
    An Arthur Township woman has been killed by a falling tree. Wellington OPP say they were called to a farm on Concession 4 in Arthur Township yesterday afternoon, and found 37 year old Christina Pillar with no vital signs. Paramedics could not revive the woman, and pronounced her dead at the scene. Pillar had been standing in a nearby bush to watch a contractor cut down a dead elm tree. She was struck by the tree when it fell in the wrong direction.

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Just one question though.........
    What moron allows any one other than the crew that is involved with removing that tree to be any where within range of a falling tree?
    Pure stupidity.

3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

so thats how you take care of the looky loose

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

What is she doing standing "IN a nearby bush"??? Was she hiding and the guys didn't see her??

5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, regardless of why that lady was there, she still got killed. And, at least in this state, if you're a contractor then you have insurance. You can't get your license without it. Not only that, but by law, maintenance companies such as many on this board, cannot cut down anything more than two inches in diameter.

There has been a push to pass a state bill that would require all landscape maintenance businesses to be licensed. This would mean that by law a landscape maintenance company would also have to carry a minimum amount of insurance, and to have a "landscape maintenance contractor" employed.

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Do we really need all that. I think its something anyone with common sence can do on their own. The government cant make people not be stupid. If they want to watch tell them no, they dont listen tell them to cut their own ______ing tree, simple as that. May be rude, but everyone lives.

7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Its a sad thing but she had it coming, standing by a tree being felled, smart move. Its obvious that if you wanna watch make sure the distance from the tree is farther the the tree is tall. DUH

8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Good point...many people don't realize b/c they have GL insurance and classified as landscapers you aren't, necessarilly, covered for tree work. Confirm!!

9. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

GL insurance, LB1234? At first I thought that was "Good Luck" insurance.

Actually, Lawnman Scott, it isn't the government pushing for this bill to have all landscape ops be licensed. They voted it down, but it is rather an association of contractors trying to get some minimum standards for maintenance... such as insurance, etc.

10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

There hasn't been anymore about the incident on the news. I am always quick to ask people to move away when I am trying to work or doing anything dangerous but you know how people can sometimes sneak up on you when you are working. I have no idea if this guy knew she was there or not. I did hear that when the tree started falling the wrong way she tried to outrun it. Not sure if she was hit by the truck or just falling branches. An old boss of mine was killed a few months ago when he was loading logs using a tractor. A log bounced on the prong of the loader and hit him on the side of the head killing him instantly.
    Insurance wouldn't have helped the lady but it might help the contractor stay in business. I also find it hard to believe that she was standing close enough to the tree to be hit by it but she was.