For those with single axle trailers

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Nov 21, 2006.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Do you rotate them? The manufacturer of our trailers recommended rotating the tires, moving left to right and right to left every 10,000 miles.

The problem I see is, when you do that, you actually start spinning the tire in the opposite direction. Can this possibly be good for a tire?

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

its not bad for the tire, unless they are a directional tire. Some tires have arrows on them to tell you only to let it roll this way. Has something to do with different tread designs.

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

Tires are very important, but on a trailer I just run'em down and replace them, no rotating. I get about 3 years on a set of carlisle's.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I would like to see a pair of tires that last 10K.......these Carlisle don't come close on any of our trailer. Rotating them will help because most of these flex axles aren't straight.

5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Thats what I was going to say. 10000 miles on a set of trailer tires? Crazy. figure in 150 for trailer tires every 2-4 years. cheap.

6. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i was gonna rotate mine before winter storage, they have probably about 1,000 miles.

7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I will rotate when I really start seeing the feathering. I still can't see getting 10000 miles out of a se of single axle trailer tires unless you are running freeway all the time.