? for Toro 32" (single-blade) walk behind owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PrecisionLawnsInc, Oct 22, 2005.

1. PrecisionLawnsInc

PrecisionLawnsInc LawnSite Member

I just picked one of these up (i think its an 89 model year) in excelent condition with minimal time. It has needed a motor rebuilt due to a valve not sealing and has sat for a while. I'm just curious how the cut quality is on these machines and has anyone tried running double blades. I think the long blade would have a high tip speed and cut nice but I just wanted to see if any of you have used them. Also I plan on discharging (but I know they make a mulch kit).

Thanks,
    Ty

2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

these are my main mowers. they dont have enough hp to run doubles nor do they need too . the cut is very good providing the blade is keept sharp. i only mulch with mine and with a gator blade it does a near perfect job. using the stock blade the mulching cap if greatly reduced so gator is the way to go. my only complaint is the big blade uses a lot of power and the engine dosnt have much to spare. on the + these are extremly reliable and easy to service

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If these units mulch well as is, Since this one needs engine work, If a higher hp engine upgrade were installed and doubles bet this thing would be a EXTREME mulcher :)

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would never run doubles on my Toros. I never understood this thou I did ask my dealer about it (cauz I kept hearing about it HERE and ONLY here) and he said ONCE in 20 years has he heard Craftsman came out with a mower in the late 80's that ran doubles, but that was about it. We almost laughed but the question WAS serious, so...

By the way, if it's a Kohler engine you always want to let it run for around 20 minutes after it has sat for some time (you can use it during this time) as the tick-tick-tick is likely due to the self-adjusting valves having dropped down when the oil drains out of them over time. This is a normal sound particular to ALL Kohler motors that haven't been run for a week or two (or longer)... ALL my Kohlers always do it and it sounds really bad until you get used to it and then you never think twice about this sound again... You might want to run a synth-based oil so you don't confuse the sound with an imminent low oil warning and seize the engine.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would never run doubles on my Toros, it's mickey mouse folklore far as I'm concerned.

By the way, if it's a Kohler engine you always want to let it run for around 20 minutes after it has sat for some time (you can use it during this time) as the tick-tick-tick is due to the self-adjusting valves having dropped down as the oil sat for some time, this is a normal sound for ALL Kohler motors that haven't been run for a week or two (or longer)... ALL my Kohlers always do it and it sounds really bad until you get used to it and then you never think twice about this sound again... Thou you might want to run a synth-based oil so you don't confuse the sound with an imminent low oil warning and seize the engine.

But yeah, tick-tick-tick like a diesel or like it's out of oil is a NORMAL sound for ANY Kohler that has sat for some time.

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i would never run doubles either they wernt desighned for it . with the big blade on the 32 -it would put a strain on the spindle. if repowering your toro 32 -get the biggest motor you can -the 12.5 koler is barley enough.