?? for Toro T-Bar Users

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AltaLawnCare, Jun 12, 2001.

1. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

My gear drive 52" toro still has under 100 hours on it, and the brakes seem to grab and cause the inside tire to slide excessively. So far I've been real careful and not tore up any turf, but I have to come to a stop and turn very slowly. - This cuts into the Production!:mad:
    Will the brakes brake-in, or is there a special technique to turning one of these monsters? If I adjust the drive belts loose, it helps, but then it doesn't pull very good.

2. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Only thing I have to say is practice. My dealer suggest going to a parking lot and practice going around a cone.

3. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

We dont have that problem, ours pulls quite well and you really have to pull back on one side or the other to get the brake to engage. I guess because its so broken in. I would imagine in time once you get some real hours on it the braking wont be so touchy just practice and be careful for now is the best i can tell ya. You can always summons the stoner for some good info on these machines.

4. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Ihave a 52 Lesco that I put a T bar on. The originalengine was a 17
    Kawi elec start. It would slide when brakes were used. I solved the
    problem by changing the engine to a 14 hp pull start. I got rid of about 70 lbs. Now it stops when brakes are applied. I looked at a new
    style toro 44 roday it was alot heavier than the 44 I had. What engine is on the mower?

5. The brakes are not adjusted right. Take it back to the dealer and have him show you how to adjust the brakes.

Also take a look at the operators manual on how to adust the brakes.

Or adjust the rod coming from the brake band and then adjust the
    belt tension.

6. linky

linky LawnSite Member

ALTA LAWNCARE
    I have the same problem. I turn as carefull as possible but the brakes are just too touchy. The dealer said that they would loosen up-not yet its been three monthes. They are real bad when going down hill and trying to turn. I think i'll take it back to my dealer and have him check it for proper adjustment. I tried practicing going around a cone in a parking lot but i kept cutting up cones, after eleven hours,three tanks of gas,forteen hundred cones and a taco i threw up on my shoe. After all that my brakes still seem too tight.

7. fjhemmer

fjhemmer LawnSite Member

The 2001 Toro T-Bar Gear Drive units have a more agressive brake on them. We went from a 5" brake to a 6" brake to accomidate the heavier new design. We have a kit that will be available for the 2001 units in about 2 weeks. It will return the feel of the unit to the previous years feel. Please see your dealer for installation. :blob3:

8. AltaLawnCare

I was emailed by a rep from toro, about the 6" brakes on 2001 models. I will call my dealer today and see about the 5" brake retrofit.
    "Stoner", I was actually adjusting the brakes so loose that the parking brake wouldn't engage ( then tightening them up before trailering it) - But it seemed to make it worse.
    I'm very impressed by the help here, and the response from toro -
    Big Thanks to all!!

9. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

STONE,

He has a 2001 model which is totally different than previous years. They're designed POORLY.

We bought 2 new ones for a deal with our other equipment and they just sit in the shop.

We're fabbing a weight kit right now so we can use these things. I'd be very interested in what Toro comes out with for a retro.

It has nothing to do with brake size, it is in the balance of the machine: There is not enough weight in back and the tires just slide when braking.

Obviously the '01 is an eXmark modification and they screwed this one up.

10. AltaLawnCare

I forgot to state: I have the 14hp Kaw Recoil - This was the configuration recommended, maybe because of the weight factor.
    I hope the 5" brake kit (PN 105-4654) will do the trick.

If its the balance of the machine, wonder if a different sulky will help? If I add weight to the machine it will get heavier, but a different sulky will distribute rider weight differently.
    I'm using a single wheel velke, and I weigh around 160.