? for u solo operators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shaughnessylawn, Jan 16, 2005.

1. shaughnessylawn

shaughnessylawn LawnSite Member

For all you solo operators just wondering how much you cut a week and other work you fit in to your schedule

2. fairwayCuts

fairwayCuts LawnSite Member

Well I started last june , and by the end of agust I had prob 15 regular accts. I had a lot of free time to say the least. It was my first year so I just wanted to get a flavor of what the business was like. I hope to have 30 or more accts by the middle of this season.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

This will be my 11th season and I'm going in with 33 customers. I maxed last season at 33 but 2 of them moved away and I already have replacements. Sizes range from small strips to 2-1/2 acres. I mow about 7, 7-1/2, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. ! day a week is set aside for paperwork (if any) and equipment maintenance. The 7th day is just for working around the house, playing with the 5.0 and watching NASCAR. I do nothing but mow during the season.

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Usually I mow at least 5 days a week, sometimes 6. During the middle of the season there isn't a lot of extras I do, so it's mainly mowing. During the spring and fall there is aeration, cleanup, seeding, lots of extras. I try to fit them in where I can, sometimes at the end of the week, sometimes in the middle of my schedule. Nothing real consistant, just try to work things in where I can.

5. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

I usually have 6-8 lawns, but only lawns that I can use a rider on. Smallest one I can do in 20 minutes. Biggest one in about 3:35 with 52" groundsmaster 117. The bigger the lawn, the better I like it. I used to do all lawns but hated the day being like a blur when I did 7-8 lawns a day. I deliver pizza about 5-6 nights a week, starting at 4 or 5 pm and work 3-4 hours a night. As soon as I get my health sorted out, I want to mow more lawns and get working on a manufacturing business.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

My time at the lawn business varies with the time of year. Year 10 coming up. I work a minimum of 56 hour weeks with the fire department regular hours. Another minumum of 16 hours of overtime. Mind you that these hours are not set, when ot is needed I go in.
    Spring time hours for lawn care are pretty much min of 40 hours per week usually more than that. That is spring cleans, dethatching, applying fert, weed spraying, aerating, recapping mulch beds and hauling debris to the compost area.
    Summer time is usually about 20 to 25 lawns amounting to between 7 to 10 acres done in 2 days of 5 to 6 hours out of the house time.
    Fall is variable, could be nuts or could be manageable depending on rain or snow. Usually out every day off from FD for 6 or 7 hours in early to mid fall and by thanksgiving I am down to 4 hours or so and then thigs get out away.

7. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

I mow 50 to 55 lawns in three days that is from 7:30 am to Dark:30 pm, I will be picking up 20 more this season so I will mow 4.5 days and leave friday afternoon for maintenance on my equipment. :cool2:

8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

year 1 final tally 28 resi accts 5 comm accts

mow schedule April - Nov 1/2 day wed, full day thurs, full day fri, 1/2 day sat,
    Nov - Mar every other week 2-3 hours wed, 6 hours thurs, full fri, 4
    hours sat

looking to bring it up to +/- 50 resi and 10 commercial by end of year 2 and stop being solo.

9. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

20 full time, 12 month billing customers. During mowing season, about another 10 weekly to bi-weekly accounts. I could do it all in 3 days but drag it out to 4 or 5 'cause I like to knock off before it hits 90.
    Work weekends at an indoor job.....

10. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

Last summer, working alone, I got up to 25. At that amount it was just too much for me (I'm 57). Got a part time helper for the rest of the summer
    and ended with about 33.