1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

For us that own carbed motors on our mowers.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soloscaperman, Jan 18, 2011.

1. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Since were heading towards more propane, efi, and diesel engines how is the value going to drop on our antique carb gas drinking mowers lol. Should I sell soon?

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not! My mowers are only a few years old and dont even have 500 hours yet.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Georgia Lawn Works LLC

Georgia Lawn Works LLC LawnSite Senior Member

It's going to be a while untill you start seeing all of the mowers you mentioned and the carbed ones being obsolete.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It's coming faster than a person might think. Kawasaki, Kohler and Robin Subaru now have fuel injected engines. Kohler just completely redesigned theirs.

[​IMG]

5. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

My dealer told me that Gravely is going to offer an EFI engine on their Pro-Turn model this year, but not on the others yet. If they offered it on the Pro-Master, I'd probably buy one.

6. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

much like any vehicle. initially the price WILL drop. but you just gotta hold on to it for a while and the price will come around..

Its nice to be able to work on your equipment..and not need a degree in computer engineering though...

8. soloscaperman

Talked to my dealer a few weeks back and said that efi is the standard. I guess My mower is classed as a 1980's cutlass supreme ha ha. Carbed, gas drinker that no one will want with gas prices that will be coming to a gas station near you. It's hard to explain. I mean no one has a carbed car or truck maybe for weekends or enjoyment but what if we hit that time that owning a mower like this will actually push us out of business sooner then we thought.

9. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

I don't mind fuel injection as long as it's cheap, read:not overpriced. Small motors are likely to remain carburated.

Another thing: A carb is not a carb, there are many types and still room for improvement. It's about time for somebody to get smart and start offering CV carbs on their engines. Since Kawasaki started using Mikuni and Keihin CV carbs on motorcycles 30 years ago I'd expect they would update their OPE engines as well.

10. soloscaperman

I think in the coming years mowers will be hitting the $20K mark and there excuse will be for because of emissions and fuel injection.