? for w/b owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jason r., Jul 3, 2003.

1. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

Have never owned a w/b bigger than a 21". Will be getting a 32"or 36" in the near future. My main ? is fixed deck or floating? For the props I'll be using this mower... cutting hieghts range from 2" to 2.25". Can I change cutting hieghts within this range on a fixed deck without taking the blades off?

2. GeorgiaGrassMan

GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member

If you are only going to be going between 2" and 2 1/4", I wouldn't pay the extra for a floating deck on a 32" or 36". DEFINITELY get a hydro though - Exmark Viking would be a great choice I would think.

3. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going to consider a hydro spring for the extra and get the floating deck, would rather have it for the future than regret later.

4. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

For the sizes mentioned, there is no need to spend the $ for a floating deck. You really will not be able to tell the difference. You'll just be buying more moving parts.
    If in doubt, see if you can find a dealer to let you demo.

5. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

For 32", 36" a fixed deck will serve your need well besides budgeting. Yes, you can change height without taking blades off but you have to play well with casters spacers and axle adjustments which are more difficult to adjust than blade spacers.
    If you have to adjust height every day on every lawn, then go floating, but if you cut all your accounts the same, then fixed is good enough. I own a fixed deck and never change the height since I bought new, all St. Agustine @ 4" height, so what the point of spending more?

6. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I cut little ole blue haired ladies yards at 2-2.5 inches. I mow estate properties at 4-4.5 inches. I use a floating deck. My deck height is adjustable at all four corners, keeping the blades level. With a fixed deck, you can only [easily] pull or add spacers to the front castors, which only changes the pitch of the blade in the front, with that you are limited. I would say that if a person [trades] up to a floating deck, they would never consider owning a fixed deck. You might not need the versatilty now, but what if you find out you do the future?
    Buy a floater

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we use both floating and fixed and i have to say that I prefer the fixed betting than the floating. Seems like the fixed doesn't scalp as much, but then again the fixed sometimes can miss grass because of bumps. I guess that it all depends on the situation adn the operator

8. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

That size mower get a fixed deck, ive got a 52 floater, and a 52 fixed i like the fixed better......Marks Mowing Service

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

A 32" and 36" has the front wheels placed in such a way that a floating deck isn't needed. Exmark will even tell you that this is the case. Many people still want the floating in that size. Thats great. We all are different. My 36" fixed deck has never had a scalping problem. You can easily change cutting height. I personally would not spend the extra dollars for a floating deck in that size range. I would spend the extra dollars for a hydro if it was going to be my main machine.

10. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

I got a floating 36 scag ,i would never go back to a fixed deck agin.Its easier to get deck pitch right on a floter ,or at least it is on scag