For Walker owners re: 62" deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RyanD, Sep 25, 2006.

1. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

I recently purchased a 62" deck (everyone was teling me they are so much better the the gear box driven 54" I have). So far... not impressed. The reason is it doesn't stripe very well. I am not saying this is an issue with all 62 decks from Walker, just mine. When mowing, the stripe is good except that, approximately 18" from the side opposite the discharge side (hope that makes since) it leaves a 4" wide stripe in the opposite direction;) I have looked under the deck. Nothing seems wrong. Of course the blades have been sharpened. Anyone have an idea why:confused:

2. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

Of all the intelligent people on this forum... and nobody will even take a guess? By the way I gave misinformation. The 4 inch wide stripe that is striped in the wrong direction is approximately 18 inches from the DISCHARGE side, not the other. I didn't even know a deck could do this:confused:

3. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

E-mail Walker. Dean Walker can probably answer your question.

4. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

With your first post, it sounded like it was the left castor pressing/matting the grass down.

With your second post, it sounded at first like it might be your blade overlaop area. But when you said it was only 18" from the chute opening, that ruled that possablity out since the 62" deck uses 22" blades

Could it be where your right cator wheel is pressing/matting the grass? If you are driving faster than the deck can "lift" this area of grass, you will get that effect.

It could be the type of blades that you are using to your grass conditions. Maybe you are creating too much turbulance under the deck.

Let us know what Walker says.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Don't have a Walker, but I understand what you are saying.
    I have experienced this before.
    It stripes backwards in that area right... opposite of the rest... ?

Looking at your deck...

[​IMG]

I have to assume this is at the backswing of your trim-side blade or the center blade.
    For some reason all three blades are not perfectly aligned on the same cutting plane.
    (doesn't take much)

Every time I have ran into this with other mowers it has been "something not straight"... meaning a bent blade, out of whack spindle, a shimed spindle (mounted on weld spatter), or just a deck top out of whack. In any event, this is usually caused by a blade swinging on a lower plane on the back-swing.

Anyways, this is Walker's problem. Return it to your dealer and explain that something is not straight/true.

6. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

With the triangle (spindle configeration) on the deck, and the 22" blades, you deffinently have a lot of blade overlap on that 62" deck. Providing that the deck is alligned correctly.

Rotate your blades 180 degrees (to a marked reference point) to see if one is bent.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Yeah, I doubt the actual blades themselves line up at the cutting edge.
    I always suspect the blade first, then the rest.

**HOWEVER**

I have seen 2 decks that did not have perfectly flat tops (both brand new) and the cutting edges of the blades DID line up fine where they meet in the middle. Both exhibited similar issues...

So you have to get a good wood ruler and check from the blade tip up to a clean deck top in several locations around the blade arc.

One of the above referenced decks had a 'dimple contraction' (jar lid effect) just behind the center spindle... I guess due to the stresses of welding the spindle support plates in place on some steel that was not so good.

In any event, the blade itself was farther away from the deck top at the rear, even with the other blades along the middle and closer to the deck top in the front. It was out 3/8" but nothing was readily visible.

So in effect, if the deck were set dead level, everything was dead level tip to tip. But the center blade had 3/8" reverse rake. It would throw a reverse stripe in the cut due to the fact the blade was 'back-cutting'.

8. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

Walker's customer service is outstanding. If you talk to them, I'm sure they will fix your problem right away.:)

9. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

I guess I should mention one thing. I didn't buy this deck new. I bought from the same guy whole sold me the mower some time ago. I know, I know you guys are thinking why didn't you try it out first? This guy has been a friend for a long time. He said he took it out and used it the day I bought it. He said it worked great. Anyway, back to what was said.

"So in effect, if the deck were set dead level, everything was dead level tip to tip. But the center blade had 3/8" reverse rake. It would throw a reverse stripe in the cut due to the fact the blade was 'back-cutting'."

I am thinking this is what it is. I will try it and let you know. Thanks for all the help guys!

10. Envy Lawn Service

Ryan,

I hope it is not but that's what I am afraid of. (the worst)
    But check the little things like the blades for straightness first though.

Does it run flat blades or offset ones?

Sometimes it's hard to tell the offset ones are not true.
    You might want to install a straight flat blade for testing.
    Like one from a 21" or one from a 60"-61" ZTR...

Oh and sometimes if a deck is well used but not totally blasted, sometimes you can see it in the wear on the baffling.