For Walker Owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dogdad, Jan 30, 2003.

1. dogdad

dogdad LawnSite Member

For those of you that have owned walker mowers, can you tell me if there are any items or problems that seem to be changed or addressed often. ( any part that seems to wear out quickly). I am getting ready to buy a 25 42 GHS,, along with a Gravely P252. I had a hustler Z 52" last year that had to many problems( Paint was just peeling off in places, the gas tanks seemed to leak at the caps constantly,etc.) so Hustler gave me all my money back. Anyway any info on the walkers would be appreciated.

2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

what were the problems paint peeling and a leaky gas cap :confused: what were the problems agian

3. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

Ihave never had aproblem with my walkers . Ihave gotten recall letters in the mail but what was recalled I never had a problem with . Just lucky I guess

Anyways as with anything you buy you always take some sort of risk.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

No problems here other than the monthly payments:D

MATT

5. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Just keep some spare belts and a good supply of oil, grease and filters. These would be common for any mower I guess.

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

How did you decide on this model of Gravely? What are you going to be using it for primarily?

Gravely_Man

7. Andrew Kovacs

Andrew Kovacs LawnSite Member

I really like my walker, other than the payments
    great for clean-up, however she clogs abit but over all its great

8. jlmac

jlmac LawnSite Member
    from Maine

We have 4 walker mowers, 1-16 hp, 2-25hp and 1-26hp fuel injected. I'd go fuel injected again, more hp and much better fuel economy. We do go through some belts, but in general find the machines very efficient and cost effective. I'm sure there are tuffer built machines if you don't need to bag clippings all the time. But for bagging clippings these are great machines.

9. The Plant Poet

The Plant Poet LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I was at a trade show in Atlanta, Ga. today and met Bob Walker. What a super nice Guy. Everyone was expressing there gratitude, including myself, for developing such an excellent machine. I've got 1900 hrs. on mine and no major problems. One thing I didn't see mentioned was the shear pin in the PTO shaft that drives the blades. Mine break about twice a year. Only .50 cents a peice. Takes about two minutes to fix. Keep a bag of them in your tool box.

10. dogdad

dogdad LawnSite Member

HarryD,,,,,the problems I had was paint literally lifting off the mower in different places. I am not talking where you might hit the deck and scratch the paint. I mean comming off in sheets. I talked 2 dealers that told me hustler was having paint problems and offering to repaint . I also had problems with the gas constantly bubbling out of the gas cap vents all over the machine. The tanks were replaced and so were the caps. No luck, so they bought the Z52 back and gave me every penny. I expext more spending that kind of money. Gravely man... I am going to get the P152,not the P252. The P252 is just to big. I am addind the light kit and gettin the better seat. I will be using it to mow open places.